nVidia FXAA vs. FXAA 3 vs. ReShade/SweetFX FXAA

• MonarchX
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago #1 by MonarchX nVidia FXAA vs. FXAA 3 vs. ReShade/SweetFX FXAA was created by MonarchX
I am trying to figure out the best FXAA that does not use Sub-Pixel AA, which makes the image overly blurry. nVidia FXAA, forced through nVidia Inspector, is supposedly the best as far as quality goes, but is it the same as FXAA 3 or FXAA 4, which are also supposed to be the best in image quality. Finally, there is ReShade FXAA that can be configured and Sub-Pixel can be disabled (disabled by default). Is Quality 9 same as FXAA 3 or nVidia FXAA?

Its very hard to compare...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kleio420
More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #2 by Kleio420 Replied by Kleio420 on topic nVidia FXAA vs. FXAA 3 vs. ReShade/SweetFX FXAA

MonarchX wrote: I am trying to figure out the best FXAA that does not use Sub-Pixel AA, which makes the image overly blurry. nVidia FXAA, forced through nVidia Inspector, is supposedly the best as far as quality goes, but is it the same as FXAA 3 or FXAA 4, which are also supposed to be the best in image quality. Finally, there is ReShade FXAA that can be configured and Sub-Pixel can be disabled (disabled by default). Is Quality 9 same as FXAA 3 or nVidia FXAA?

Its very hard to compare...

fxaa 4.0(its now TXAA) isnt a thing anymore web.archive.org/web/20120121013010/http:...ls-and-features.html here's a link of what it was going to be till nvidia got greedy. Driver fxaa is usually the best option and will cost more to use then injection idk how often they still update it.

If you are going to compare you need to take screenshots at native res , no aa on at all, also a few images with it downsampled using different fxaa settings.

Even then in my experience games will differ on what settings look good on one game to another you will always be playing with the setting also imo fxaa looks better in motion then smaa does as jagged edges really show bad with smaa in motion again my opinion but this view i have is why i choose fxaa in general over smaa as i also think it grabs more edges blury textures can be fixed by filtering so thats not a problem in AAA games
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Kleio420.

• MonarchX
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 2 months ago #3 by MonarchX Replied by MonarchX on topic nVidia FXAA vs. FXAA 3 vs. ReShade/SweetFX FXAA
Yeah, I just ran some benchmarks and NVidia FXAA caused massive FPS drop in MINIMUM FPS in almost all cases. Example - Assassin's Creed Odyssey (1440p, maxed out, numbers represent averages of 3 consecutive runs)
NVidia FXAA Enabled (ReShade files removed entirely):
Avg. FPS - 62
Min. FPS - 36

NVidia FXAA Disabled (ReShade 4.1.1 enabled, FXAA-only)
Avg. FPS - 65
Min. FPS - 44

NVidia FXAA does seem to remove a little bit more temporal aliasing, but it's so hard to tell that I am not sure it's even worth using it over ReShade FXAA. I want to make a proper review with 1:1 comparison of exact identical frames, but HOW!?

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.