Is it possible to apply pixel-art filters only to specific "layers"?

• ArkBlitz
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 11 months ago #1 by ArkBlitz Is it possible to apply pixel-art filters only to specific "layers"? was created by ArkBlitz
I've been trying to find a way to apply filters to certain 2D games that integrate both low-res and high-res/3D assets, in such a way that only the low-res assets are affected. In particular:
  • Games like Celeste or Virgo vs. The Zodiac, that mix low-res sprites on a layer with high-res portraits and UI on a higher layer.
  • Games like Wargroove or Rivals of Aether, that while being fully low-res, include high-res videos on their intro.
  • Emulated games for consoles like the PSP or the Nintendo 64, that often include low-res sprites on 3D environments.

As of now, Reshade applies its filters to either the whole image, to a fixed set of coordinates of the image, or not at all - which makes the high-res parts of the image end up needlessly blurry as the filter is indiscriminately applied to them. I've been reading that there's a LibRetro filter available for the RetroArch emulator, named "Super xBR 3D" , that does exactly that - detecting which parts of the image are rendered at native resolution and which ones are upscaled, then filtering only the upscaled parts. However, I don't have enough knowledge of CG code to port it by myself, especially since this is a multi-pass filter ( thread here ) so I've been searching for an alternative to perform that multi-pass method. Any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.