Problem with FILMIC PASS in Reshade 4 - who is the Author of this Shader?

• MassiHancer
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #1 by MassiHancer Problem with FILMIC PASS in Reshade 4 - who is the Author of this Shader? was created by MassiHancer
Hi guys, I think this topic it's important since I made some tests and I found a problem with this Shader.
The problem is that this shader was ported to reshade 3 and 4, but it's a lot different from it's original form.

This Shader was really good I used it frequently to add "Fade "and a bit of color grading in the past.
Unfortunately, now you can try any setting, but this shader tends to crush Blacks a lot and the Whole image it's filtered like you are looking it trough sunglasses, seems filmic pass with reshade 4, removes contrast...
"CeeJay" told me in discord that Judging from the source code maybe it look like someone took a look at the tonemap.fx he ported originally and then made their own with new features. (that maybe was an idea to improve it, but the original shader it's better under any aspect )
It would be Amazing if someone can told me who is the author of the shader and if there is any idea to improve/fix it, please.
I can post also a couple of Pics with and without filmic pass to understand how Blacks are crushed by it.

without filmic pass:
ibb.co/rQRhzMW

with filmic pass:
ibb.co/nnJjpPT
P.s.
I know that there are great shaders that can restore the contrast or fix a bit the problem, but I'm trying just to fix the "filmic pass" as it was in the past, so any help would be appreciated.

cheers
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by MassiHancer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Antony88
More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #2 by Antony88 Replied by Antony88 on topic Problem with FILMIC PASS in Reshade 4 - who is the Author of this Shader?
nice topic, I remember that shader.
judging your screenshots, the one without filmic pass it's better in contrast, but the Sky and the Background are better with the filmic pass ON. I guess that the new filmic pass in Reshade 4 has a different Black Point or tonemap that its less realistic.
I agree with you the old Filmic pass.fx shader was better.
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Antony88.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MassiHancer

• MassiHancer
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #3 by MassiHancer Replied by MassiHancer on topic Problem with FILMIC PASS in Reshade 4 - who is the Author of this Shader?
Unfortunately I don't see much people interested to fix this shader, I still can't find the Author of porting filmicPass.fx it would be easy to modify it.
It's strange that I opened this topic just because some guys asked me in discord how they can get similar results of mine, so I guess some people could be interested in fixing it.....at least the shader devs or the author itself.
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by MassiHancer.

• Kleio420
More
3 years 7 months ago #4 by Kleio420 Replied by Kleio420 on topic Problem with FILMIC PASS in Reshade 4 - who is the Author of this Shader?
your monitor or tv is not the same as everyone else , basically what im saying is the shader is a approximation of compressing a hdr input from the game(yes it can be used in other ways not what im getting it color correction is) how your monitor/tv displays blacks/whites and how its grey level is differs from other people what you see and someone else isnt the same in a lot of cases even with calibration. Fix ? simple find a black point and white point( in correlation to your monitor/tv display functions probably not possible in a generic view), consider "correct color output" then anything else maybe limit to those values but someone uber smart on here can probably give you a solve everything shader. My reply wont help fix your shader by any mean cause im saying there probably isnt anything to fix as for what it was intended for may have been a different thought process then what you think it was intended for, apologize to those who dont get what i mean or disagree idc i wont read your replies.

• pharaohsteve
More
3 years 6 months ago #5 by pharaohsteve Replied by pharaohsteve on topic Problem with FILMIC PASS in Reshade 4 - who is the Author of this Shader?
Use levels.fx and set your own black and white points, problem solved :)

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.