Shader Showcase 00001

More
5 months 1 week ago - 5 months 1 week ago #1 by BlueSkyKnight
Shader Showcase 00001 was created by BlueSkyKnight
Shader Showcase
Welcome to the first-ever shader showcase.
This showcase will focus on a randomly selected developer and a specific shader of their choosing.
The goal of this is to bring developers and their shaders to light.
I think there is room for smaller lesser known shaders that can show Dev/User creativity. So the first person to be selected was Radegast a shader developer that works on his own private repository of fun and interesting warping effects. 
Tiny Planet

FFXIV: A Realm Reborn, Limsa Lominsa at night.

Q: Please tell us a little about yourself Radegast and your repo.

I'm a professional software developer currently located in Southern California. Between work and other life events, I don't have much time left to myself except for late at night, in which I split my time between learning to draw, learning new technologies, and playing around with ideas for shaders. It's probably this lack of sleep that lead me to cook up the idea that there are enough shader repositories out there that offer things to make your game look nice, but there's nothing out there to make your game look, well, out there.

My shader repository has an unoriginal name (reshade-shaders by Radegast) but with a magical purpose: Come up with any shaders that other developers would probably (in their better judgment) not bother with; Shaders that can warp what you see into something else. I feel like it's a niche that hasn't really been touched upon and you can see that in the shaders that currently exist on my repository (Swirl, Bulge/Pinch, Zigzag, and Tiny Planet at the time of this interview). I'm hoping to grow it even further with other interesting effects people might enjoy as time permits.

Q: Why did you pick Tiny Planet for this showcase?

At first, I wanted to demonstrate Swirl or Zigzag, as those were ones I developed earlier and are nice fun-house effects to mess with, I'd have to choose the  Tiny Planet shader. The inspiration comes from those photos you see of ultra-wide-angle cameras suspended in the air and pointing downwards at the ground. Rather than changing the view angle, it projects the screen onto a sphere, giving the illusion that the view is curving around the center.  Given the right video game locations, you can make a small world out of anything you want.

Q: What is the best use case for this shader and how would you use it?

For 3D games, the best way to use this shader is to go into the first-person mode if possible and set your view towards a horizon that looks relatively the same on the left and right sides of the screen. For 2D games, any side-scroller where the background is a solid color or repeats in a seamless pattern should look the best.

Q: Any tips for first-time users?

You should set the center and offset values to 0 to center the "planet" on the screen and set the scale to 10. This will get you a good idea of what you're looking at. From there, you can play around with the values to come up with the desired look. It takes some patience, but you can get some great images with it.

Q: Do you have any questions or words for the community?

I hope people enjoy using these shaders as much as I did enjoy making them.

(Bistro Heroes, running on the MuMu App Player android emulator.)

So as you can see if your focus is on creativity and fun, sometimes you can just let go and enjoy different shaders and have different goals for a “look.”
As a secondary goal try looking for different shaders and try things that are not reconfigured for you.
Sometimes the journey matters more than the goal. Because what you learn on the way can help you with other things as well.
Make sure you visit the Radegast repo or download them directly from the ReShade installer.
Tiny Planet Info
Tiny Planet Parameters:  
center_x - Reorients the projection of the sphere around its x-axis. Not to be confused with offset_x, which moves the center of the sphere along the x-axis of the screen.
center_y  - Reorients the projection of the sphere around its y-axis. Not to be confused with offset_y, which moves the center of the sphere along the y-axis of the screen.
offset_x - Defines the placement of the effect along the x-axis of the screen.
offset_y - Defines the placement of the effect along the y-axis of the screen.
scale - This can also be considered the z-position in the sphere. Lower values move the camera down the z-axis, causing a zoomed-in effect. 
z_rotation - Rotates the sphere along the z-axis, allowing you to orient the sphere at various angles for better pictures. 

Links:  
github.com/Radegast-FFXIV/reshade-shaders  
www.reddit.com/r/ReShade/  
www.reshade.me  

Users who worked on this post are.
-BlueSkyDefender
-CeeJay.dk
-Radegast
Last edit: 5 months 1 week ago by BlueSkyKnight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: crosire, brussell, acknowledge, Viper_Joe, moyevka, costiq

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.