How to get DOF to work correctly?

• Thranduil
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 10 months ago #1 by Thranduil How to get DOF to work correctly? was created by Thranduil
Hi,

I have been messing around with the Depth of Field settings for ages, using any combination you could dream of, and trying with both manual focus on and off, but I cannot for the life of me acheive a depth of field where my character in game is in focus and the background in out of focus.
All I have been able to achieve is to blur out my entire game screen.
I have tested this on Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, Mount and Blade: Warband and The Witcher III Wild Hunt all with the same results.
Can someone please enlighten me as to what I need to do to acheive what I'm looking for.
Here is an example of what kind of DOF I'm looking to Achieve:
www.nexusmods.com/Images/110/451830-1404092292.jpg

P.S I have tried using both the MasterEffect and the compiled shaders packaged with the Reshade + Framework Download.

I'd appreciate any help :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Constantine PC
More
8 years 10 months ago #2 by Constantine PC Replied by Constantine PC on topic How to get DOF to work correctly?
Lower the focus point so it's on your character (either with manual DOF or Dynamic)

Then change Near Curve to a really high number like 1000.0 effectively turning it off (or its so low you cannot see it)
This will prevent it from blurring around your character, it will blur only things in the far plane i.e after the focus point, which will be set up to be your character.
Then just play around with the blur radius to find a value you like.

You can also turn off dof vignetting as that will blur stuff close to screen edge as well.

Hopefully this helps in some way, try it out and let me know.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BrandonHortman

• BrandonHortman
More
8 years 10 months ago #3 by BrandonHortman Replied by BrandonHortman on topic How to get DOF to work correctly?
My near curve is 99999999999 on most 3rd person game :cheer:

• Thranduil
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 10 months ago #4 by Thranduil Replied by Thranduil on topic How to get DOF to work correctly?
Cheers. I tried a heap of different settings and finally got it to work on the witcher 3 at least. although, Is there anyway to disable the nearblur completely? its severly frustrating in game!!!!!
I had to enable RFX_LogDepth in common settings for it to work on the witcher 3.

• Ladatv
More
8 years 10 months ago #5 by Ladatv Replied by Ladatv on topic How to get DOF to work correctly?
Could you please share your Witcher 3 DOF settings? Looks very nice!

• Aelius Maximus
More
8 years 10 months ago #6 by Aelius Maximus Replied by Aelius Maximus on topic How to get DOF to work correctly?

Thranduil wrote: Cheers. I tried a heap of different settings and finally got it to work on the witcher 3 at least. although, Is there anyway to disable the nearblur completely? its severly frustrating in game!!!!!
I had to enable RFX_LogDepth in common settings for it to work on the witcher 3.

Try setting #define DOF_NEARBLURCURVE to 1000.0 :)

• Thranduil
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #7 by Thranduil Replied by Thranduil on topic How to get DOF to work correctly?

Ladatv wrote: Could you please share your Witcher 3 DOF settings? Looks very nice!

Hi, the thing is I'm always fine tweaking so I can't tell you exactly, but here's an example of what it looks like at the moment:

To give you an idea I used Matso DOF with a focus point of 0.5,0.6 then a nearblur value of 99999, a farblur value of 5.0, a blur radius value of 10 and autofocus on.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Thranduil.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ladatv, teringlijer

• Aelius Maximus
More
8 years 10 months ago #8 by Aelius Maximus Replied by Aelius Maximus on topic How to get DOF to work correctly?

Thranduil wrote:

Ladatv wrote: Could you please share your Witcher 3 DOF settings? Looks very nice!

Hi, the thing is I'm always fine tweaking so I can't tell you exactly, but here's an example of what it looks like at the moment:

To give you an idea I used Matso DOF with a focus point of 0.5,0.6 then a nearblur value of 99999, a farblur value of 5.0, a blur radius value of 10 and autofocus on.

Good to know i found the solution for you! B)

• Thranduil
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 10 months ago #9 by Thranduil Replied by Thranduil on topic How to get DOF to work correctly?

Aelius Maximus wrote:

Thranduil wrote:

Good to know i found the solution for you! B)

Yeah cheers for the reply on that!
As it was I already knew to set it really high, I was just seeing if anyone knew any other methods as even in doing so you still get blurring occuring in front of the focus point, thought there must be a way to erase it entirely is all :)

• BrandonHortman
More
8 years 10 months ago #10 by BrandonHortman Replied by BrandonHortman on topic How to get DOF to work correctly?
Yeah, I use pretty much the same settings. I still get the blurring before the focus point. If I am say, too close to the ground or something.
Not sure what it is...

• r3dfield
More
8 years 9 months ago #11 by r3dfield Replied by r3dfield on topic How to get DOF to work correctly?

Aelius Maximus wrote: the thing is I'm always fine tweaking so I can't tell you exactly

Hey man, I've seen your Gears of War Screenshot and it looks amazing. Can't find any proper DOF Settings for it...either Marcus Fenix is blurred, too...or distance is too little. Would you share your settings with me? Would be awesome to see the whoel DOF area of your McFX_settings.cfg file, if you don't mind. What else are you using? Dirty lens? Best looking GoW settings I've seen so far. Sorry for bothering you, but I'm searching for so long...! Thanks!

• me398rush
More
8 years 5 months ago #12 by me398rush Replied by me398rush on topic How to get DOF to work correctly?
Hello everybody! I have a problem with the game ARMA 3. Long been trying to achieve the DOF-effect, as in this preset forums.bistudio.com/topic/178999-mer-res...ing-imagine-sweetfx/ . Let me explain in a nutshell. The gun in the hands should be slightly blurry (not in focus), everything else is clear. And when you look at the weapon, it should be crisp, but everything else in the background slightly blurry. But, unfortunately, in the new version ReShade (1.0.0 was released on August 10th) so it is impossible to set up. Can somebody help me, especially hope Constantine PC. And i apologize for my English, I used a translator.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.