Sharpening in a game with no compatible Depth info

• Digika
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #1 by Digika Sharpening in a game with no compatible Depth info was created by Digika
I'm running UE4 (4.26, scen color format is  PF_FloatRGB 32Bit) game and it seems like some depth information is not compatible either with Reshade or shaders, not sure (SMAA marked yellow and complains about texture color) and Marty's qUINT Sharp does not work in Depth mode.

What would be next best sharpening filter that is not using Depth?
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Digika.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tojkar
More
2 years 10 months ago #2 by Tojkar Replied by Tojkar on topic Sharpening in a game with no compatible Depth info
I love the look of SurfaceBlur.fx by Ioxa when using it with negative strength values. Just by using the default settings with -1.0 on strength makes very sharp image without causing any annoying haloing.

I'm really wondering why no-one ever mentions that when talking about sharpening shaders.

• Daemonjax
More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #3 by Daemonjax Replied by Daemonjax on topic Sharpening in a game with no compatible Depth info
qUINT sharp doesn't need depth info -- you can't really tell the difference except in screenshots and looking VERY closely.

There's rarely a game where the depth info is displayed in a way that's actually useful to SMAA.

Unless you can somehow use depth info to detect text to use it as a mask (requires custom shader modifications) I wouldn't worry about depth info -- except for shaders that actually requires depth info e.g. ambient occlusion or depth of field.
Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Daemonjax.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.