ReShade 4:3 mask/layer for emulators?

• 2mg
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #1 by 2mg ReShade 4:3 mask/layer for emulators? was created by 2mg
I'd like to apply filters only inside the red box (4:3 part) in this image, since black borders (16:9) have some data ala FPS:

Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by 2mg.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• brussell
More
2 years 2 months ago #2 by brussell Replied by brussell on topic ReShade 4:3 mask/layer for emulators?
Well, I made sth for you:
github.com/brussell1/Shaders/blob/master/Other/AreaDiscard.fx

Put "AreaDiscard_StoreColor" at the start of your load order (or before the effect(s) that shouldn't affect the screen edges)
and "AreaDiscard" at the end. The default values should then work for you if you use FullHD resolution.

• 2mg
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 2 months ago #3 by 2mg Replied by 2mg on topic ReShade 4:3 mask/layer for emulators?
Nice, it works!

Should be included in Retro shaders pack!

Is it just masking those areas, or is it literary telling other shaders not to even use those areas for calculations?

• brussell
More
2 years 2 months ago #4 by brussell Replied by brussell on topic ReShade 4:3 mask/layer for emulators?
No, "AreaDiscard_StoreColor" just stores the image wherever it is placed in the load order and "AreaDiscard" restores it for the specified areas. Unfortunately, telling the other shaders to skip calculations there is not possible without changing all those effects individually.

• 2mg
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 2 months ago #5 by 2mg Replied by 2mg on topic ReShade 4:3 mask/layer for emulators?
Well, for my shader setup it seems to work (TV shape is applied only to 4:3 portion properly), hope other shaders don't take entire 16:9 buffer into their calculations and mess stuff up.

Anyway, your fx is nice and easy to use, thanks!

• ThugBard
More
1 year 9 months ago #6 by ThugBard Replied by ThugBard on topic ReShade 4:3 mask/layer for emulators?
Hello! Is I like this script. I am using Borders.fx to create a white border around the 4:3 image. When I use your script areadiscard.fx as directed, this cuts off the border sides but keeps the top and bottom.

Is there a way to change the color of the edges? I tried using the Edge/Areas fill color option to change the edges to white, but they remain black. I edited "> = float3(0.0, 0.0, 0.0);" to (1.0, 1.0, 1.0), but they stay black.

Thank you for your help. This is incredibly useful, but if those excluded edges could just be white instead of black, it would be golden!

• 2mg
  • Topic Author
More
8 months 4 weeks ago #7 by 2mg Replied by 2mg on topic ReShade 4:3 mask/layer for emulators?
Hi, I've put an issue on your Github, tldr is to disable or adapt edges when window sizes change, otherwise they're good only in one mode, usually Fullscreen?

• brussell
More
8 months 4 weeks ago #8 by brussell Replied by brussell on topic ReShade 4:3 mask/layer for emulators?
I will look into it, but I'm battling an illness currently. So no ETA at the moment.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.