Welcome, Guest.
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Magnifier/scope shader

Magnifier/scope shader 4 months 1 week ago #1

I started working on a modification of the simple zoom shader (reshade.me/forum/shader-presentation/4150-simple-zoom-shader) and came up with this. It allows you to magnify an area of your screen (assumed to be the centre) and display the result within a desired shape and position. Right now it can only be toggled, but I'm looking at ways to allow hold to zoom. This is my first shader so I would appreciate ideas on how to improve it.

Here's some screenshots of different ways it can be used:

You can download the shader here: raw.githubusercontent.com/mhgar/ReShade-.../master/Magnifier.fx
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wicked Sick, luluco250, Mithrot, Masterfireheart

Magnifier/scope shader 3 months 4 days ago #2

Hello wlfr. It's been a month since you posted this, but I'm hoping you're still around. I've been looking for a shader for a particular use-case scenario and found your shader to be very close to solving a problem I've been having. Certain splitscreen PC games like Resident Evil 5 decide to create the render windows unevenly, thus shoving them in alot of wasted space. You can see a demonstration of what I'm trying to do below.

Reshade Magnifier Splitscreen Demonstration: imgur.com/a/DsqTLZ3

Your shader comes close to letting users manipulate what they want to extend, but unfortunately it's mostly just for "zooming" into an image. Would you consider adding in the feature to "stretch" a part of a screen so something like this can be accomplished without the image cropping? Thanks in advance. :)

Magnifier/scope shader 1 month 3 weeks ago #3

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

Oh god, you'd prefer the image to be stretched? Surely not without the aspect ratio being thrown out the window, right?

It'd certainly be possible, though it'd be more efficient to do it for a few single games rather than trying to do a generic solution.
Likes to reinvent the wheel.

My shaders repository: www.github.com/luluco250/FXShaders

Magnifier/scope shader 1 month 2 days ago #4

Sorry for the delay in replying- thought you died or something.

To answer your question: Nope. I prefer having a stretched aspect ratio than giant black borders. The reasoning behind my preference is that certain displays like my TV are pretty small, so the giant black bars make it harder for friends to see what is going on. I think something like this would be more useful in a game like Black Ops 3 where splitscreen already makes the aspect ratio messy by shoving two 4:3 windows in a 16:9 aspect ratio.

I believe having greater control over game display scaling via a Reshade shader is more useful than hoping your TV or monitor can do it.