Welcome, Guest.
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: New shader: cinematic depth of field

New shader: cinematic depth of field 2 months 2 weeks ago #101

I surely could skip near plane objects.... if they're in the depth buffer :) UI elements aren't so the pixels appear as if they're in the background, and are blurred accordingly. If you enable the "DisplayDepth" shader, you'll see that the elements aren't in the depth buffer (or click the view CoC option in cinematic dof). So there's little I can do regarding that.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

New shader: cinematic depth of field 2 months 2 weeks ago #102

Removing the HUD completely would be a better option then.

I'm fine with blurry UI though. The bigger issue where near objects looked pixelated is solved. So it's all fine now

New shader: cinematic depth of field 3 weeks 10 hours ago #103

New version (v1.1.8 ). Version in reshade repo is v1.1.3, so I made PR to get it updated in the reshade repo as well.

New features:

v1.1.8: Added anamorphic bokeh support, so bokehs now get stretched and rotated based on the distance from the center of the screen, with various tweaks.
v1.1.7: Added 9-tap tent filter as described in [Jimenez2014] for mitigating undersampling. Implementation is from KinoBokeh (see credits in file).
v1.1.6: When near plane max blur is set to 0, the original fragment is now used in the near plane instead of the half-res pixel.
v1.1.5: Added far plane highlight normalizing for non-gained highlights. Added tooltip for reshade v4.x
v1.1.4: Far plane weight calculation tweaked a bit as near-focus plane elements could lead to hard edges which looked ugly. Highlight far plane adjustments have been reworked because of this.

PR: github.com/crosire/reshade-shaders/pull/153

(edit) merged
Last Edit: 2 weeks 6 days ago by OtisInf.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wicked Sick, Ryukou36, Sami 1999

New shader: cinematic depth of field 1 week 5 days ago #104

I can not thank you enough !

New shader: cinematic depth of field 2 days 6 hours ago #105

A guide for all the settings has been added to the FRAMED screenshot website: framedsc.github.io/ReshadeGuides/Shaders/cinematicdof.htm
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wicked Sick

New shader: cinematic depth of field 2 days 4 hours ago #106

Suggestion: modify the "anamorphic" option. Right now, it squeezes the bokeh disc and rotates it so the effect swirls around the center. I think you're throwing two different bokeh properties together: anamorphic bokeh is caused by recording video with anamorph lenses which allow to record horizontally wider image on narrow film. Has the side effect of squeezing bokeh horizontally - on the entire screen with the same orientation, so nothing center aligned going on.

What the option in your DoF currently does is somewhat mimicking the occlusion of the aperture by the camera lens itself, which doesn't look like squeezed bokeh but like the boolean intersection of two circles, like in the first picture below. While it is possible to have an effect like yours, it's caused by lens distortion and only happens on severely fish-eyed images.

500px.com/photo/149434545/a-world-with-y...e=photos&ctx_q=bokeh

Which looks different to what your DoF currently does:

And anamorphic bokeh looks like this

Last Edit: 2 days 4 hours ago by Marty McFly.

New shader: cinematic depth of field 1 day 19 hours ago #107

With different setting values you can achieve that tho: (so like the picture you quoted last, with vertical ellipses) It's also in the same doc page (almost at the bottom ;) )

I used an example image with slightly rotated anamorphic bokehs in the corners to build the effect, so I added that rotation option too so you could achieve that. You can get overboard with it, but that's not the intention. To be honest, I used www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/2035-why-is-anamorphic-bokeh-oval/ as basis for an explanation of what it was and built the code from there.

That said, what's suggested is indeed that the rotation aspect is part of what an anamorphic lens does, and that's not the case. I'll see what I can do to update that.

(edit) updated the wording of the section a bit. I'm not going to update the settings of the shader.
Last Edit: 1 day 18 hours ago by OtisInf.