MXAO Blurry?

• rykaine
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 9 months ago #1 by rykaine MXAO Blurry? was created by rykaine
when i enable or mess with any of the settings on mxao (regular and quint) it just stays low quality/blurry. what can i do to fix? :( and yes aa is off

with mxao: prntscr.com/ocudkw

without mxao: prntscr.com/ocudtz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Faustus86
More
4 years 9 months ago #2 by Faustus86 Replied by Faustus86 on topic MXAO Blurry?
Is this an online Game?
Depth based Shaders are turned off in MP Games.
Why it is blurry idk. Looks like Gaussian blur to me, nothing like mxao.

• rykaine
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 9 months ago #3 by rykaine Replied by rykaine on topic MXAO Blurry?
yah it's call of duty 4 but i dont go online, i use it for mvm and its worked the whole time up until updating it :( just now i got the mxao to show shading but still stays blurry. mxao is the only effect i have on:

w: prntscr.com/ocus43
w/o: prntscr.com/ocuso8

• Marty McFly
More
4 years 9 months ago #4 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic MXAO Blurry?
That looks to me as if ReShade or something else forces a LoD bias. See, textures can have mipmaps, lower resolution versions of the original,with indices 0 1 2 3,where 0 is full resolution and each following index as half width half height of the index before.
The LoD bias is an offset applied on this value so with a a LoD bias of 1 and want to read miplevel 2, the game gives me miplevel 3 instead.

Not only textures on 3D models can have mipmaps, but also the full screen textures like the color buffer you essentially captured there. Now MXAO utilizes those mipmaps for depth and color buffer to speed up the sampling where quality doesn't matter much. I presume some weird LoD bias applied by something forces MXAO to use a mipmap instead of the full resolution backbuffer when combining AO. and the game image.

How to solve this, no idea, since it's technically not even a problem caused by the shader.

• crosire
More
4 years 9 months ago #5 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic MXAO Blurry?
It's not ReShade, since ReShade sets the LOD bias to whatever you specify in the sampler settings in the shader. But that can be overwritten via the driver control panel in some APIs.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.