CAS Improved for Reshade

• ZabaZu
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #1 by ZabaZu CAS Improved for Reshade was created by ZabaZu
This version of the shader is now included in the SweetFX repository on GitHub . All future improvements will be there (though for the sake of keeping it close to the original source from AMD, it likely won't see many changes).

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by ZabaZu. Reason: Shader has a new home
The following user(s) said Thank You: Viper_Joe, Marty, Vad1us, aaronth07, nikobellic, Covid19, MacTir

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nikobellic
More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #2 by nikobellic Replied by nikobellic on topic CAS Improved for Reshade
I have no reshade programming knowledge but if one feature I would like with reshade version of CAS is "Ignore film grain" or "film grain rejection" while sharpening, its present in Nvidia's implementation of CAS.
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by nikobellic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: John_567

• lowenz
More
3 years 10 months ago #3 by lowenz Replied by lowenz on topic CAS Improved for Reshade
It would be a nice addition (if possible, I don't know if nVidia driver level sharpening filter does use CAS or doesn't)

• nikobellic
More
3 years 10 months ago #4 by nikobellic Replied by nikobellic on topic CAS Improved for Reshade
Another would be adding some sort of depth mask to it. So that faraway objects don't look as sharp as objects that are close. Maybe reduce intensity the further the pixel is. Or might add a cutoff distance. Prod80 has a sharpening shader which has depth based option, I am just not sure if he uses CAS, and of course not this version of CAS.

I just tried yours, though I could not see much difference initially between the old and this one but I did notice brightness change with old version, but with yours I there is not much brightness change. So this version has become my go to CAS reshade version. Thanks again!

• nikobellic
More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #5 by nikobellic Replied by nikobellic on topic CAS Improved for Reshade
There are few sharpening filter which already does what I was looking for. So, I took some help from those (prod80's sharpening + Filming Anamorphic Sharpening) and added couple of depth based effect with CAS. This is my first time even trying anything in reshade or shader related, so the code is not optimized. gist.github.com/imniko/20b715b23fa914af4becda02ee5f9b49

Some comparison slider:
Normal CAS vs w Depth Edge (Object edges wont be sharpened)
Cas vs w Depth Fade (Objects further from camera would be less sharp than objects closer)
CAS vs above two effects combined
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by nikobellic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aaronth07

• aaronth07
More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #6 by aaronth07 Replied by aaronth07 on topic CAS Improved for Reshade
Just wanted to say that this is absolutely amazing work, so thanks!

Also, might I add a suggestion: The shader "Smart_Sharp.fx ( hyperlink )" has a feature that adjusts the sharpening intensity based on motion. This is important for games using TAA, because TAA blurs more in motion than standing still. As an example, I might adjust this sharpening filter to be enough when standing still, but as soon as I start moving, it becomes too blurry. Smart_Sharp somehow detects motion, and has options to multiply the sharpening intensity when motion is detected, meaning that TAA blur can almost entirely be eliminated.

I'm not exactly sure if the same thing can be added to this shader, but if it is, this would make it the best sharpening filter on Reshade.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by aaronth07.

• nikobellic
More
3 years 9 months ago #7 by nikobellic Replied by nikobellic on topic CAS Improved for Reshade
I saw smart sharp code and it has a lots of stuffs going on. Pretty high level for a noob like me, I didn't know smart sharp worked on motion differently, maybe I will try to detect motion and up the sharpness, I know smart sharp is far more complex.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aaronth07

• jas01
More
3 years 8 months ago #8 by jas01 Replied by jas01 on topic CAS Improved for Reshade

nikobellic wrote: There are few sharpening filter which already does what I was looking for. So, I took some help from those (prod80's sharpening + Filming Anamorphic Sharpening) and added couple of depth based effect with CAS. This is my first time even trying anything in reshade or shader related, so the code is not optimized. gist.github.com/imniko/20b715b23fa914af4becda02ee5f9b49

Some comparison slider:
Normal CAS vs w Depth Edge (Object edges wont be sharpened)
Cas vs w Depth Fade (Objects further from camera would be less sharp than objects closer)
CAS vs above two effects combined

Hello

Perhaps you could add something similar to this shader - deblur

• nikobellic
More
3 years 8 months ago #9 by nikobellic Replied by nikobellic on topic CAS Improved for Reshade
Are you talking about Deblur.fx or FastSharpen.fx?

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.