Color accurate games using a 3D color lookup table

• fhoech
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #1 by fhoech Color accurate games using a 3D color lookup table was created by fhoech
Until recently, the best one could hope for in games in terms of accurate colors was the use of 1D lookup tables (which only do per-channel correction of RGB values and are usually used to correct whitepoint and gray balance) via the graphics card video LUTs (also known as video card gamma tables). There was no support for true color management, e.g. using ICC profiles (and not just their embedded 1D calibration, if any) or 3D LUTs (unless using an external 3D LUT hardware box) .

With ReShade it's now possible to use a 3D LUT for color management. The 3D LUT maps from the assumed input color space (for games, this is most likely a Rec. 709 primaries based color space) to the display color space. I've added support to create such 3D LUTs to dispcalGUI, an advanced open source display calibration and profiling solution (you need a measurement instrument to use it). There's a relevant thread over at AVSforum.com for anyone that is interested.

FYI :)
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by fhoech.
The following user(s) said Thank You: crosire, JPulowski

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JPulowski
More
8 years 8 months ago #2 by JPulowski Replied by JPulowski on topic Color accurate games using a 3D color lookup table
I am using TFT Central's pre-calibrated VG278HE profile since I don't have a color calibration device yet. According to the review, the profile has been created with X-rite i1 Pro + LaCie's Blue Eye Pro software suite. But unfortunately dispcalGUI doesn't recognize the profile. When I try to import it it gives me the following error which doesn't explain much:

Any suggestions?

• fhoech
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 8 months ago #3 by fhoech Replied by fhoech on topic Color accurate games using a 3D color lookup table
The error is due to the profile not being created by dispcalGUI, but I agree it's not very informative. Generally I'd recommend against using profiles that you haven't created yourself, as they might not be a good match to your actual specific monitor due to manufacturing- and other variations. The profile itself is very close to Rec. 709 gamma 2.2, so there would not much be gained from a 3D LUT anyway (apart from the grayscale correction through the calibration).

• matsilagi
More
8 years 8 months ago #4 by matsilagi Replied by matsilagi on topic Color accurate games using a 3D color lookup table
Im kinda confused on this.
This is a LUT creator as i can see, but how it works exactly? I see it needs a calibration device, can it be a Android device or does it need to be something specific?

• fhoech
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 8 months ago #5 by fhoech Replied by fhoech on topic Color accurate games using a 3D color lookup table
It needs to be one of the supported color measurement instruments (see list on the homepage). Android isn't related to those.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.