Stretch Shader

• Sh1nRa358
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 6 months ago #1 by Sh1nRa358 Stretch Shader was created by Sh1nRa358
We already have a zoom on motion shader. Similar to this, I would like to request a stretching shader in which you are giving the ability to modify each side of the viewing box to be stretched out. If you have a game with black borders all the way around, this would allow you to zoom it in so that there will be no borders. If the picture just has black bars horizontally or vertically, we will be able to stretch it to be able to get rid of the those bars. If a game has a black bar just on one side, we will be able to solve that. Some ppl don't care about the image being stretched. Some still do because after all, most gamers are from the 80s era and don't mind it at all because it's what we are used to seeing. This would help those who are irritated with the image being confined on their $2000 dollar machines :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: xXChris187

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Ganossa
More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #2 by Ganossa Replied by Ganossa on topic Stretch Shader
Done ;)

Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Ganossa.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wicked Sick, Sh1nRa358, jas01

• Sh1nRa358
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 6 months ago #3 by Sh1nRa358 Replied by Sh1nRa358 on topic Stretch Shader
Sweet, thanks!

• Sh1nRa358
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 6 months ago #4 by Sh1nRa358 Replied by Sh1nRa358 on topic Stretch Shader
BTW, is that an upcoming thing or something that is already in 1.0?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wicked Sick

• Wicked Sick
More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #5 by Wicked Sick Replied by Wicked Sick on topic Stretch Shader
LOL I clicked on "thx" while trying to leave a reply here hahahha ↑

To get rid of the letterbox will be dream coming true, even though it will be through stretching haha I use an old 16:10 monitor and I suffer so much with those infamous letterboxes...

I remember when ReShade was on its early stages and the "depth check function" was not really implemented as it is now. I commented at Guru 3D about this option, to stretch an image when I found it just by luck. I was playing Final Fantasy 13 and accidentally pressed a button, asterisk I guess, and it stretched the screen and the black and white s it normally is. Never got a reply about it if I recall well. I am glad to see it here now (:

EDIT:

II feel a kind of shame when I read the stuff I write here and there.. UGH! ARGH!

My post: forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4982897&postcount=158

I did get reply in fact and from Crosire haha: forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4982910&postcount=161

The images are gone forever...
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Wicked Sick.

• Sh1nRa358
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 4 months ago #6 by Sh1nRa358 Replied by Sh1nRa358 on topic Stretch Shader
Houston we have a problem. Exact pixels aren't ideal. When using it on a different resolution, you have to redo the numbers to fit that resolution. Therefore I ask can you do it percentage wise Ganossa so that it stays the same no matter what the resolution is?

• Ganossa
More
8 years 4 months ago #7 by Ganossa Replied by Ganossa on topic Stretch Shader
I believe the original purpose of the shader was to deal with specific resolution problems. For those, the problem changes with a different resolution, also for percentage values, while pixels are the less concealed values that can be easly read from e.g. a screenshot. For what purpose are you using the shader, so I can get an idea in which way I could improve it? :)

Its called magnify, so yeah, to e.g. actually support the purpose in its literal interpretation I would indeed need to add percentage to be resolution independent but also a variable for the center point which does not exist yet.

• Sh1nRa358
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #8 by Sh1nRa358 Replied by Sh1nRa358 on topic Stretch Shader
I'm using the shader to get rid of the black bars in the games that have them.
(ignore same question in other areas of forum)

Also, perhaps you can rename and recode the options for it to say left, right, top, and bottom so it will be easier to read. With positive values that mean outward and negative values that mean inward. So if I want to bring the right side of the screen in, i'd say Right, -100. And if I wanted to push it out, I'd say Right, 100. The value of 0 would mean untouched.
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Sh1nRa358.

• PasserBy
More
8 years 3 months ago #9 by PasserBy Replied by PasserBy on topic Stretch Shader
Wouldn't it be better to do something like Ambilight rather than cropping or stretching. Personally I don't like black bars, but even more I dislike wrong proportions or cropping screen where something valuable can be...
By Ambilight I mean this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambilight
It's used in Smooth Video Project for example

I don't know if existing Ambient Lighting could be adapted, but from my, far from development, point of view it needs to detect black color from top/bottom with same width as horizontal resolution and left/right with same height as vertical resolution. And most simplified algorithm of Ambient Light as it should be blurred with no details(and less impact is better of course), only dominant colors to apply only to those detected black areas.
I'd personally used such shader...

• Marty McFly
More
8 years 3 months ago #10 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Stretch Shader
Looks like blurred image applied where usual black bars are. Ambient light has a blurring afaik but a simple gaussian blur on the image should do the job as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PasserBy

• PasserBy
More
8 years 3 months ago #11 by PasserBy Replied by PasserBy on topic Stretch Shader
Was thinking about Gaussian Blur, but not sure it's enough to suggest it instead.
In SVP it have "Light sources count" (1-32), "Average depth" width of frame's edge to use as source (2-300px), "Flare length" (10-500%) to determine how fast light sources fade to black and "Light source size" (10-400%) options for effect. There's also options to have it without black borders too as some people likes it that way.
If I'm guessing right it works this way: 1) detect if vertical or horizontal bars present; 2) using "average depth" value to chose line for sampling for each bar; 3) splitting line by "light sources count" value into segments; 4) determining average color for each segment; 5) generating light sources with those colors with height and width of each limited by "flare length" and "light source size" accordingly.
If anybody is interested - would be nice to have such shader. IMO it's much better to add a bit of eye-pleasing content than to have wrong proportions or miss part of screen.

• Sh1nRa358
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #12 by Sh1nRa358 Replied by Sh1nRa358 on topic Stretch Shader
Pretty sure this can go in a new post instead of trying to override this one...
Rather rude wouldn't you say. If you wanted to you could add images to the left and right. But this thread is called stretch shader. Not everyone shares your views and old heads have been playing this way waaay before ps3 era came so alot of ppl don't see a problem with stretching. This isn't the place to debate about it either.
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Sh1nRa358.

• PasserBy
More
8 years 3 months ago #13 by PasserBy Replied by PasserBy on topic Stretch Shader
Sorry if I offended you in any way, hijacking topic wasn't intentional. Just shared of better, by my opinion, solution of whole black bars problem and detailed it later. To each their own.
If it's inappropriate or simply would be better to move what I said to separate topic may moderator be kind enough to move it there, naming it "filling black bars" or any other way as all variations of filling would be welcomed, not only ambilight. Thanks.

• Sh1nRa358
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 1 month ago #14 by Sh1nRa358 Replied by Sh1nRa358 on topic Stretch Shader
Do the settings carry over when switching resolutions now with 2.0?

• Ganossa
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #15 by Ganossa Replied by Ganossa on topic Stretch Shader
There was (unfortunately?) no change on that shader from 1.1 to 2.0 as far as I remember.
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Ganossa.

• Sh1nRa358
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 11 months ago #16 by Sh1nRa358 Replied by Sh1nRa358 on topic Stretch Shader
Hey, can you put an extra option to identify 2 separate portions of the screen so that you could stretch each section individually? This would help the game cover the full area of the screen in splitscreen coop games that leave black bars on the side like Resident Evil 5 and RE Revelations 2.

• TomuCat
More
5 months 1 week ago #17 by TomuCat Replied by TomuCat on topic Stretch Shader
Apologies for being a complete noob and a necro bump but how do i install / use this shader? This would be perfect for use with the border shader for sinden light guns.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.