Vertical Gaussian Anamorphic Lens Flares

• DeMondo
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 2 months ago #1 by DeMondo Vertical Gaussian Anamorphic Lens Flares was created by DeMondo
Possible to add in 2.0?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Elimina
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #2 by Elimina Replied by Elimina on topic Vertical Gaussian Anamorphic Lens Flares

DeMondo wrote: Possible to add in 2.0?

I don't think that the Devs would implement this right away, since they are close to releasing update, but I definitely think that this should be implemented eventually . I always enjoyed the unique look of the dying light vertical anamorphic Lens flares. Another addition to this suggestion: Is there a way to add a way for the user to edit the sharpness (accuracy) for the anamorphic Gaussian flare? I always found the ReShade anamorphic Gaussian lens flare to be a little too blurry, and I really enjoy the look of how accurate the anamorphic lens flares are in Dying Light. (I'm not sure if this would be a viable option since I think the Gaussian glare is connected to the bloom settings, but maybe it might be possible)

Example:
m.imgur.com/ilvJlRS
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Elimina.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jas01

• Marty McFly
More
8 years 2 months ago #3 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Vertical Gaussian Anamorphic Lens Flares
Making it sharper isn't easily possible. For the blur, I have to use a considerable amount of samples, otherwise the single samples get visible (turn the blur up to crazy values and you will see). So it is either using more samples so the spacing is so small the eye does not see it or make the single samples blurrier. I decided the second option, also because it limits the size of a flare casting object. If we make it too sharp, even very small bright areas cast visible flares and that looks extremely glitchy.

• Tycholarfero
More
8 years 2 months ago #4 by Tycholarfero Replied by Tycholarfero on topic Vertical Gaussian Anamorphic Lens Flares
I'm sure there's a chance it might be worked on later, but I thought of something, if he's still working on them, or if they were scrapped, would having it vertical potentially confict with (this) and (this) ?

• DeMondo
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 2 months ago #5 by DeMondo Replied by DeMondo on topic Vertical Gaussian Anamorphic Lens Flares

Elimina wrote:

DeMondo wrote: Possible to add in 2.0?

I don't think that the Devs would implement this right away, since they are close to releasing update, but I definitely think that this should be implemented eventually . I always enjoyed the unique look of the dying light vertical anamorphic Lens flares. Another addition to this suggestion: Is there a way to add a way for the user to edit the sharpness (accuracy) for the anamorphic Gaussian flare? I always found the ReShade anamorphic Gaussian lens flare to be a little too blurry, and I really enjoy the look of how accurate the anamorphic lens flares are in Dying Light. (I'm not sure if this would be a viable option since I think the Gaussian glare is connected to the bloom settings, but maybe it might be possible)

Example:
m.imgur.com/ilvJlRS

I fully agree.
Dying Light is a good example for vertical gaussian anamorphic lensflares, im not a big fan of horizontal positioned lensflares (the J.J. Abrams' Star Trekian lensflares), it takes too much attention from the screen while vertical is more subtle, the gamers focus is not taken away by overbright spots and lines across the screen, while vertical lensflares "flows more into" the screen, it doesnt look forced while horizontal does.

A few more examples:
Vertical:
www.idustrialrevolution.com/flare-lights-free-fcpx-effect

Horizontal:
bartwronski.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/...zone_lens_flares.jpg

• Elimina
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #6 by Elimina Replied by Elimina on topic Vertical Gaussian Anamorphic Lens Flares

Is there a way to limit the amount of pixels the effect can be applied to? Like instead of applying to every single pixel that matches the threshold, would it be possible to make it so that the areas where the effect would appear has to be a certain amount of pixels big in order to show? (Most of the stuff I post is very theoretical, so I'm pretty sure my idea will not be within the limits. Just a theory though, just in case ;))

As shaders run per-pixel this is difficult. I already use a blurred source image so small brightness discontinuities get smoothed away but that also results in a more blurred and less defined flare.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Marty McFly.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.