So..TAA with SMAA possible with shaders? Seems so!

1 year 4 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago #41 by cbdeakin
I tried this shader on the Witcher 3 and it got rid of the shimmering effect really well (the version without the aliasing mask). But, it just blurred everything and the motion blurring was too much. It's a shame there isn't a way to reduce the motion blur amount below its default setting, is anyone still working on this shader?

Also, it seems to work well with SMAA in the Witcher 3.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 4 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago #42 by cbdeakin
I've tried the version with the mask also and actually it does work well in general. But, it really distorts text at the moment. I'd recommend setting both the jitter amount value to 0 at the moment. Lowering the seeking amount seems to improve the AA smoothing effect, a value of 0.025 works well.

I've also found it works better if you load SMAA any shader before the TAA shader loads (in the home menu).

1 year 1 day ago #43 by Riadon
Hey @BlueSkyKnight, the version of the shader before you added the mask actually works really well at high framerates (120+ FPS) if you set the "Motion_Blur Adjust" parameter to something way outside the minimum value, like -0.050. This adds a strong green tint to the screen, but that can be removed using liftgammagain, tonemap, etc. Eliminates almost all aliasing in motion, especially when combined with SMAA. It still isn't really usable for normal gameplay because of how strong the ghosting effect is, but I want to let you know that you were closer than you probably think to making a very usable TAA shader. I think with a bit more work it could become a very nice addition to ReShade.

8 months 22 hours ago #44 by canceralp
I was really hoping for a permanent solution from this topic. Because the results were so close to an actual TAA in some areas.

Could it be possible to use TAA without jittering? I know jittering is there for increasing sample information in time domain. But how about making a 1.5 FSAA with VSR/DSR and also applying Gaussian clamping with both neighbouring and previous pixels?

Let me explain it simpler:
Every Pixel has 8 neighbours.
Frame 1) take 3 of the neighbours and let them effect the pixel by a percentage. Then save the frame even after displaying the frame.

Frame 2) take another 3 neighbors and do the same blending. And then add the previous pixel data with a percentage weight.

Frame 3) Same story. Find new 3 neighbours, blend, then blend with previous 2 frames.

Frame 4) Do the same.

Always blend the current frame + 3 previous frames. Since they share information from different neighbours, in a still image it would be a perfectly smoothed image. Add that some extra VSR/DSR resolution and you are good to go.

7 months 3 weeks ago #45 by aaronth07
I am pretty sure that Reshade doesn't have access to previous frames (which makes an actual TAA implementation an impossibility), though I might be thinking of something else.

7 months 3 weeks ago #46 by canceralp
Actually, it has. This is how fake motion blur works. It can not be a TAA replacement, though.

7 months 2 weeks ago #47 by j4712
we dont have acces to motion buffers so taa is basicaly impossible. im working on some things but it will take a long time befor any of it will be usable...
The following user(s) said Thank You: canceralp

7 months 2 weeks ago #48 by canceralp

j4712 wrote: we dont have acces to motion buffers so taa is basicaly impossible. im working on some things but it will take a long time befor any of it will be usable...

If you need any volunteers, I would love to be one. Anything is better than nothing when it comes to TXAA titles, like GTA V.

7 months 1 week ago #49 by Markimoo
If only there's a TAA option in GTA V so that I can turn my grass to high. MSAA with grass is fps killer.

1 month 4 weeks ago #50 by Nanon_Mod
hi.
For me this is a TAA that work perfecly, other things isn't good.

1 month 2 weeks ago #51 by aaronth07
I was just playing around BlueSkyDefender's 'BasicMotionBlur_WIP.fx', and in the mask view it seems to highlight jittering and aliasing very well. Could this be used in a pseudo-TAA shader?