Multiple layers of AO?

• SgtPetterzon
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 2 months ago #1 by SgtPetterzon Multiple layers of AO? was created by SgtPetterzon
Hi everybody!

I've been messing around with AO settings back in Oldrim with ENB and was exited to hear that Skyrim SE had it built in. I'ts pretty ugly however but it was sweet that you could use it and also use MXAO via Reshade. Gives the ambient shadows a more immersive look when you can have two different radious of them at the same time. So I was wondering, Is it possible to somehow use two layers of MXAO at the same time? One layer could be used as detailed AO for the characters hair etc and the other could be used to make larger shadows like the old skylighting effect in oldrim ENB. Or maybe something in between. Perhaps something like this has been attempted?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WLHM15
More
7 years 2 months ago #2 by WLHM15 Replied by WLHM15 on topic Multiple layers of AO?
Well, you can duplicate the shader if you using reshade 3.0+. So, you'll have two of them, i dont try this method yet, but in other case i always do this with my bloom shader.. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: SgtPetterzon

• Marty McFly
More
7 years 2 months ago #3 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Multiple layers of AO?
You can do this, but in the past I had issues when I had two shaders with same texture names, although that should not happen.
I can add a second layer to MXAO, if needed. The advantage over just using two shaders at the same time is that only the AO pass has to be drawn twice, not the entire shader. This should save fps a lot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jas01, SgtPetterzon

• SgtPetterzon
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 2 months ago #4 by SgtPetterzon Replied by SgtPetterzon on topic Multiple layers of AO?
Sweet! Thanks for such a fast reply! Allrighty then, I duplicated the MXAO shader and renamed it MXAO 2. But then only the MXAO 2 worked ingame. The original MXAO shader just made the screen go compleetly black when activated, no matter what settings I changed. Am I doing it right?

• Marty McFly
More
7 years 2 months ago #5 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Multiple layers of AO?
That's what I meant with issues with two shaders.

• SgtPetterzon
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 2 months ago #6 by SgtPetterzon Replied by SgtPetterzon on topic Multiple layers of AO?
Haha! Yea, quite an issue that is. So what was that about "a second layer to MXAO"?

• Marty McFly
More
7 years 2 months ago #7 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Multiple layers of AO?
Well, if you duplicate MXAO, you do this:

1. shader:
setup textures
compute AO
blur 2 passes
combine

2.shader:
setup textures
compute AO
blur 2 passes
combine

If I instead modify AO to run the AO pass a second time, this runs one:

1.shader
setup textures
compute AO 1
compute AO 2
blur 2 passes
combine

As this saves the additional stuff, it'll run a lot faster.

• Exilium
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #8 by Exilium Replied by Exilium on topic Multiple layers of AO?

Marty McFly wrote: Well, if you duplicate MXAO, you do this:

1. shader:
setup textures
compute AO
blur 2 passes
combine

2.shader:
setup textures
compute AO
blur 2 passes
combine

If I instead modify AO to run the AO pass a second time, this runs one:

1.shader
setup textures
compute AO 1
compute AO 2
blur 2 passes
combine

As this saves the additional stuff, it'll run a lot faster.

Do it! I'm using IL now, and AO looks like a shit with the same config of IL, I want a big sample radius for IL and low sample radius for AO.
Btw, you fixed your PC?
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Exilium.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jas01

• Marty McFly
More
7 years 2 months ago #9 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Multiple layers of AO?
No, I haven't. Not enough donations.

• Uncle Crassius
More
7 years 2 months ago #10 by Uncle Crassius Replied by Uncle Crassius on topic Multiple layers of AO?
You can use Pirate Kitty's SSAO on top of MXAO without problems if that's a solution for you.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.