Request: Faux Color Casts Lighting from Depth Map

• magicart87
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #1 by magicart87 Request: Faux Color Casts Lighting from Depth Map was created by magicart87
I had an idea for a shader; one that creates baked light color casts using the game's depth. Along with casting a global color and ambient color the effect could also add a rim light color cast. The shader would read the depth and then "cast" onto objects two color values: sunlight (orange) and the 2ndary color (blue) to give games a greater sense of depth through basic color theory. I see this often in CG animated cartoon movies to add extra pop of color and better suggest changes in depth. In short; read the depth map and cast a faux lighting onto it with options for color of lights, ambient color and optional rim light effect.

I wonder if something similar can be achieved in reshade? The values would need to be depth amount, color 1, color 2, amount of inset blur, some directional angle and some overlay mode parameters. I don't know how to properly describe it but I'm fairly certain the effect exists. (or should. ;)) anyone have any idea what I'm describing? Would this be doable in reshade?

Something like this:

Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by magicart87.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jas01, YOBA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Marty McFly
More
6 years 10 months ago #2 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Request: Faux Color Casts using depth map
Me thinks if you'd provide some pictures of what you mean ppl would have a notion how it should look like.
The following user(s) said Thank You: magicart87

• magicart87
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 10 months ago #3 by magicart87 Replied by magicart87 on topic Request: Faux Color Casts using depth map
I take it that it isn't possible.

• SgtPetterzon
More
6 years 8 months ago #4 by SgtPetterzon Replied by SgtPetterzon on topic Request: Faux Color Casts using depth map
I think it would be awesome if its suttle.

• didel23
More
6 years 1 month ago #5 by didel23 Replied by didel23 on topic Request: Faux Color Casts using depth map
I think he's suggesting IBL (but that doesn't use depth AFAIK) or a fresnel effect (cannot be done in PP).

IBL would be great for older games but it doesn't seem plausible.

There's a misconception regarding Reshade 'shaders' as in people of no or limited understanding of computer graphics (as myself) think that 3d shaders and 2d shaders (post process effects) are the same and can be done in a 3rd party injected app.

• Fu-Bama
More
6 years 1 month ago #6 by Fu-Bama Replied by Fu-Bama on topic Request: Faux Color Casts Lighting from Depth Map
Those effects are based on Normal map buffer, not depth buffer.

• Marty McFly
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #7 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Request: Faux Color Casts Lighting from Depth Map
You can derive normals from depth (see MXAO), although in view space, so all lighting etc will rotate with camera.
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Marty McFly.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.