Stealing ideas from Uncharted 4?

• ScureHD
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 10 months ago #1 by ScureHD Stealing ideas from Uncharted 4? was created by ScureHD
There is this "lighting" shader in UC4. It's very similar to Ganossa's Ambient Light shader. Just look at this screenshot or this . Perfect place for "ambient light" shader. I noticed that they are controlling the maximum black/white levels with it. So if there is a strong bright sky, the darker parts are darker too, but the lowest black level isn't 0,0,0(RGB) but higher like 10,10,10. It's a really nice looking "trick".
Or what do you guys think? Maybe i'm wrong and it's not just one shader trick anyway, but it's possible to make more parameters for ambient light to work similar to this?

Then there is this blurring shader in the modern titles, which makes a feeling, like the game is more detailed than it is. Not sure how to explain it, but i'm sure you can see it too.
Just look at this screenshot . If you look at it first, the game looks amazing and in motion it looks even better... But if you start to analyze it, you start to notice the bad graphics. Some object details are average at best, bad quality shadows, low view distance, etc. It just that blur what makes the image quality look good.

Not sure if you can make this or it's something more complex, which has to work different in every situation... I know, ReShade isn't the same and these developers can optimize their shaders for every situation, but if you have the knowledge to make something like these, we would have some nice tricks to make the games look better.

Thanks and sorry for my english mistakes and long post, i tried to make it easier to read.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• FierySwordswoman
More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #2 by FierySwordswoman Replied by FierySwordswoman on topic Stealing ideas from Uncharted 4?
Nevermind the fact that these shaders are years older than the 2016 uncharted 4, of course.

Either way, ambient-light and bloom style shaders have been around forever. Nothing's new here.

Blurring could be anything from a denoising filter to some type of gaussian. Maybe a light static DOF.
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by FierySwordswoman.

• Marty McFly
More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #3 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Stealing ideas from Uncharted 4?
First two images are bloom, how it can look when done properly and with proper use of HDR range. Second is overused AA.
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by Marty McFly.

• crosire
More
6 years 10 months ago #4 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Stealing ideas from Uncharted 4?

Marty McFly wrote: First two images are bloom, how it can look when done properly and with proper use of HDR range.

Just to clairfy, before this comes up as a question: ReShade cannot do such bloom, since it operates on LDR input and therefore misses a lot of lighting range/information.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.