Welcome, Guest.
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Black Frame Insertion possible via shader?

Black Frame Insertion possible via shader? 4 months 2 weeks ago #1

Hi guys. I'm very interested in blur reduction for games that are fps locked to 60, especially for shmups.
One method of doing this is black frame insertion. Emulators like retroarch and groovymame already support this.
But it would be interesting if I could get it to work with pc games too.
The technique works this way:
1st frame
2nd frame: complete black picture
3rd frame
4th frame: complete black picture.
My understanding is when I have a display that is set to 120hz refresh rate and a pc game that is locked to 60fps...I think it should render each frame twice.
Would it somehow be possible to write a shader that colors every doubled frame completely black ?
This way motion blur should be cut in half.( I think it should correspond to the 8ms entry on the motion blur chart of blurbusters www.blurbusters.com/persistence-vs-motion-blur/)
And yes 50% of display brightness would be gone in an instant ;)
So do you think something like that would that be possible ?
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: andrew, avrion

Black Frame Insertion possible via shader? 4 months 1 week ago #2

I'd be interested in this as well.

Black Frame Insertion possible via shader? 4 months 2 days ago #3

I tested it out some time ago. First the game must be v-synced, otherwise there is significant black bars screen tearing. Second, game must run at monitor refresh rate, as ReShade is synced with application FPS, not actual monitor FPS. So in order for this to work, your game must run at 120FPS with V-Sync ON.

But there's another way for black frame insertion, if your monitor supports stereo-3D, you can make it, so that "left eye" sees game graphics and "right eye" black screen. This way without 3D glasses you will have black frame flip-flop.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fluffymadness

Black Frame Insertion possible via shader? 3 months 3 weeks ago #4

@Fu-Bama, do you still have that black frame insertion shader somewhere ? I'd love to try some games with it.
Sadly I have no stereo 3d monitor, or a monitor with ulmb.
It seems there is no real way to do black frame insertion with 60fps content.
Only readup I've found on software based bfi via shaders is on the blurbusters forum, but no real solution for 60fps content was found in that discussion either.
forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?t=3223
Last Edit: 3 months 3 weeks ago by fluffymadness.

Black Frame Insertion possible via shader? 3 months 3 weeks ago #5

This is apart of the code I used for Frame Sequential. It can do Black Frame Insertion. You need a serious type of Vsync. 120hz minimal for BFI. I also added a few other types of Frame Alternation. For testing with 60Hz monitors. But, I doubt it would work. Also if you have epilepsy or prone to attacks DO NOT USE THIS SHADER. I mean it.

Warning: This shader should not be used by people with epilepsy.

github.com/BlueSkyDefender/Depth3D/blob/...Frame_Alternation.fx

Warning: This shader should not be used by people with epilepsy.
My GitHub page where you can get the Latest release of SuperDepth3D github.com/BlueSkyDefender/Depth3D

My PayPal Me Link If you like to donate paypal.me/BlueSkyDefender

Also my steam page steamcommunity.com/id/BlueSkyDefender

Discord Server discord.gg/W2f7YhX
The following user(s) said Thank You: fluffymadness

Black Frame Insertion possible via shader? 3 months 3 weeks ago #6

Thx for your shader. The 120hz bfi shader works really great. Tested it with assault android cactus and nex machina.
I also tested the alternating patterns in the shader for games that are locked to 60fps, but as you have guessed, there isn't really any noticable blur reduction with that modes.

Black Frame Insertion possible via shader? 3 months 1 week ago #7

Thank you very much for the codes ;) , but I wanted to know if you have any way to make frames like 30fps, 45fps, etc. at 144hz, because I tested here and it gets too flashy and in frames below 120fps a lot too high for today's top games! :blink:
Thank you again! and sorry my english ;)
Last Edit: 3 months 1 week ago by okaxihd.