Dirty screen fix overlay with variable options

• busylazyguy
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 9 months ago #1 by busylazyguy Dirty screen fix overlay with variable options was created by busylazyguy
Hi. I am an older gentleman and from my childhood throughout today have had a particularly sensitive eye to screen defects when viewing media of any kind on any display. I have an idea for a shader that I think one of you smart people can figure out pretty easily. Many of todays displays have defects in screen uniformity. LCD displays of all kinds have light bleeding around the edges and vertical and horizontal lines running throughout the display. If some industrious person can create a shader that allows toggle and selection of various bands and areas of control over the display area we could potentially use that shader to more accurately calibrate our displays. In my opinion this perfecting of uniformity would be a first and more important step to improving game and video quality. Something with sliders that can determine the number and x and y size and coordinates of each zone or band and red green blue gamma contrast and brightness sliders of each zone to calibrate the screen to perfect visual uniformity. I think a slider controlling the blend of edge of each zone would be necessary also. I think a shader like this would become a tool in many peoples toolbox and be important to gamers who spend a lot of money on their rigs and to home theater guys like myself that have spent thousands of dollars on large HDR displays only to find out that every HDR display including OLED has uniformity issues.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• R3AP3RK1NG
More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #2 by R3AP3RK1NG Replied by R3AP3RK1NG on topic Dirty screen fix overlay with variable options
Hello busylazyguy,

I guess I do understand your point, but there're a lot of already availlable possibilities to adjust a Display itself, then you got the possibility, to use Catalyst or nVidia Control Center, to do some adjustments (focus + clock).
This isn't the end, there're more adjustments possible - like ClearType by Windows or if you use an Intel processor, you do also have the (in some cases) the Intel Control Center, where you can also adjust many things for the display.

The "bars" you were reporting about and I only know the nVidia-Settings in this case (sry), aren't nice right? - I guess you mean the bars who are created while gaming and mostly fast movements, right? - This is V-SYNCH called... in this case go to your controlpanel by nVidia:
3D-Settings: (scroll down to) Vertical Synchronization (VSynch) and set it to "Fast/accelerated" then checkout ingame -> Don't forget to disable the VSynch Option n the graficsettings ingame, otherwise it's overwritten and you can't see the effect.

That's all I can advice in this situation - no I lied - checkout ReShade Settings Like:
FakeHDR
DPX
3DFX
Clarity
EGAFilter
Technicolor (2 too)/Colorfulness
These options will give you access to more visual adjustments.

If you really have y and x bars, running above the screen, your display is maybe broken or the device who receives the signal at first isn't working correctly.... maybe it's not that bad and only some settings in the menue of your TV/Display are wrong (completely).
The Bleedout is only appearing on TV's and Display with "Edge-Lit" ... for those I got an advice "Go and buy a TV/Display with LOCAL DIMMING!", watchout for at least 120Hz (I know all above 140Hz is better for hardcoregaming, but.... huuuh.... you know...) and keep in mind that the reactiontime (in fp/ms) should be native and not implemented by an additionall hardware interface or somekind of plugin.
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by R3AP3RK1NG.

• Marty McFly
More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #3 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Dirty screen fix overlay with variable options
@OP: Disregard everything the person above just said. True, buying a screen targeted at photographers/visual artists will ensure you have evenly lit areas but a "free" solution can be done per shader.

There are multiple ways of tackling this, but none of the existing shaders for ReShade are capable of doing this specific task, so I would need to write you one.

If you have relatively large areas that only vary in Luma, you could use a shader with a number of nodes in a grid, where you could adjust the Luma for small rectangular portions of the screen.

If you're somewhat proficient with image editing software, you could use a white image that fits the screen where you basically "paint" the overexposed areas darker so displaying the image in full screen, it looks coherent. A shader would then use this image and adjust the brightness of the scene according to it.
You could create this texture by displaying all white on your screen and taking a photo of it, but that'd need to be very high quality.

@R3AP3RK1NG: The OP specifically stated horizontal and vertical lines, this rules out tearing so vsync is no solution. The shader you listed only apply global adjustments, so you can't target screen areas.
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Marty McFly.

• R3AP3RK1NG
More
5 years 8 months ago #4 by R3AP3RK1NG Replied by R3AP3RK1NG on topic Dirty screen fix overlay with variable options

Marty McFly wrote: @OP: Disregard everything the person above just said. True, buying a screen targeted at photographers/visual artists will ensure you have evenly lit areas but a "free" solution can be done per shader.

My translation into german, coupled by google-translate made me only 60% of his problem understandable, sry for that, I thought it's something wrong with his panel or LED-backround lights. I don't experience such things and never did - I play on a 34' Samsung HD-TV f.e..

Marty McFly wrote: There are multiple ways of tackling this, but none of the existing shaders for ReShade are capable of doing this specific task, so I would need to write you one.

Just as an idea, there's the Dirt-Overlay by MagicBloom, right? - Would it work, in combination with the white-backround, edtited with Photoshop, to get smooth transitions from White to Black and reverse, to exchange this Dirt-Texture with his adjusted layer and make it visible the hole time? - That way the more darker areas could be brightened lightly - it's hard work if he's able to see the slightest differences, but possible (maybe).

Marty McFly wrote: If you have relatively large areas that only vary in Luma, you could use a shader with a number of nodes in a grid, where you could adjust the Luma for small rectangular portions of the screen.

If there're also light differences in color-spectrum, maybe my idea can work for this too? - With adjustments on MagicBloom, how it's reacting on brighter pixels, there's maybe the right moment, to get his overlay working?

Marty McFly wrote: If you're somewhat proficient with image editing software, you could use a white image that fits the screen where you basically "paint" the overexposed areas darker so displaying the image in full screen, it looks coherent. A shader would then use this image and adjust the brightness of the scene according to it.
You could create this texture by displaying all white on your screen and taking a photo of it, but that'd need to be very high quality.

If he uses Photoshop f.e. he could create a complete white layer and fill the screen, then he would be able to focus more darker areas and then he could ostracize them, by a second layer in black over the white and cutting this areas out softly for a smooth transition, the way he needs.

Marty McFly wrote: @R3AP3RK1NG: The OP specifically stated horizontal and vertical lines, this rules out tearing so vsync is no solution. The shader you listed only apply global adjustments, so you can't target screen aasre.

If I do understand the right, then I would try to connect the display with different output-sources to make sure it's not depending on the display itself and to make sure, that it's also not depending on the connection-cable, as well as on the GFC - at some point there's maybe the problem explored?
Cable?
GFC?
Display?
I never saw reports about such stuff - googling... in process... //\\ Ah okay, some of the reports are depending on defect GFC's, other were depending on the connection - exchanged HDMi cables to "HighSpeed" variants with Ethernet, sometimes helped to solve this probs.
If the GFC is defekt, then he could start in Save-Mode, there's not the complete performance of the GFC used and if the bars dissapeared, then it will depend on his GFC.
He can simply check the cable with other devices connected with this cable and if visual probs appear, then it will depend on the cable.

At least @ Marty: Thread started before 2 weeks - with no responses - I tryed my best to help him out, because no one seemed to get attention to it.

Greetz,
Reaper

• Marty McFly
More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #5 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Dirty screen fix overlay with variable options

R3AP3RK1NG wrote: If there're also light differences in color-spectrum, maybe my idea can work for this too? - With adjustments on MagicBloom, how it's reacting on brighter pixels, there's maybe the right moment, to get his overlay working?

Won't work, since this is a screen issue. If he displays a white image, it'll still have those problems and to a shader, all those areas have the same pixel value so bloom will have no effect here, as does any other existing shader. A shader that counteracts this has to falsify the image the other way the screen does it. Maybe you can abuse a shader so it does what you want but writing a new one taylored to the problem is better.

If he uses Photoshop f.e. he could create a complete white layer and fill the screen, then he would be able to focus more darker areas and then he could ostracize them, by a second layer in black over the white and cutting this areas out softly for a smooth transition, the way he needs.

There's a million ways of doing this. Still assuming the OP can do this.
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Marty McFly.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.