New Clarity shader

More
5 months 1 week ago #1 by klotim
New Clarity shader was created by klotim
The clarity shader hasn't been updated for a while, it would be nice with a updated clarity with hopefully better performance to bring more depth to flat lightning in some games.
The current performance is quite bad atm.

Hopefully someone would take a look at this :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Viper_Joe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 months 1 week ago #2 by aaronth07
Replied by aaronth07 on topic New Clarity shader
Replying to save.

But I yeah, I agree totally. The legacy Clarity shader with some optimizations could be great.
The following user(s) said Thank You: klotim

More
5 months 1 week ago #3 by klotim
Replied by klotim on topic New Clarity shader
Hopefully someone will take a look at it.

More
5 months 1 week ago #4 by prod80
Replied by prod80 on topic New Clarity shader
I have been breaking my head over the Lightroom "Texture" effect, which is like a less crude version of Clarity, but thus far haven't been able to create a good enough replicate that it's actually useful.

Texture is an effect based on a highpass where the texture positive values are blended with overlay or softlight blending technique. But one has to isolate the exact tonal frequencies this should happen in. I'm also not quite sure which color space they are using either, because seems I get quite OK results in RGB but at the same time it's not good enough. Perhaps they are using some other color space, like the AB component of LAB or something.

Maybe one day, once I figured it out entirely.
The following user(s) said Thank You: klotim, Viper_Joe, aaronth07

More
5 months 1 week ago - 5 months 1 week ago #5 by Swartz27
Replied by Swartz27 on topic New Clarity shader
Nvidia Freestyle has it's own version of a Clarity filter that's more lightweight in how it's programmed, but it likely wouldn't be legal to use in Reshade, and even if it was you'd need to convert it from Shader Model 5.0 to ReShade FX (which is basically modified Shader Model 3.0, sorta).

In a selfish way I wish Reshade already used Shader Model 5.0 style language simply because I had learned that and never learned Shader Model 3.0 (which was DirectX 9, 5.0 is DirectX 11). But, to each their own.
Last edit: 5 months 1 week ago by Swartz27. Reason: Added request re shader model editing

More
5 months 1 week ago #6 by klotim
Replied by klotim on topic New Clarity shader

prod80 wrote: I have been breaking my head over the Lightroom "Texture" effect, which is like a less crude version of Clarity, but thus far haven't been able to create a good enough replicate that it's actually useful.

Texture is an effect based on a highpass where the texture positive values are blended with overlay or softlight blending technique. But one has to isolate the exact tonal frequencies this should happen in. I'm also not quite sure which color space they are using either, because seems I get quite OK results in RGB but at the same time it's not good enough. Perhaps they are using some other color space, like the AB component of LAB or something.

Maybe one day, once I figured it out entirely.

You definitely have the knowledge, all good luck to you, hope you find a way to solve it!

More
3 months 4 weeks ago - 3 months 4 weeks ago #7 by amymor
Replied by amymor on topic New Clarity shader

klotim wrote: The clarity shader hasn't been updated for a while, it would be nice with a updated clarity with hopefully better performance to bring more depth to flat lightning in some games.
The current performance is quite bad atm.

Hopefully someone would take a look at this :)

I just joined to say i found a clarity called "Clarity2.fx" . Here is my test result in Cod 4 MW(dx9):

Reshade off: 300-310 fps
Clarity.fx on: 145-150 fps
Clarity2.fx on: 255-260 fps
B)
Better performance and and wider slider for higher clartiy

Download link:
github.com/Mortalitas/GShade/blob/master/Shaders/Clarity2.fx
Last edit: 3 months 4 weeks ago by amymor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: klotim, aaronth07