Direct 3D "Fake normal mapping"

• drv30
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #1 by drv30 Direct 3D "Fake normal mapping" was created by drv30
This is a long-shot, but I was messing around with this thing called ESRGAN, and I noticed one of the models is capable of generating a normal map out of a flat image. I was wondering if maybe a reshade effect could be injected in such a way that a Direct3D (direct draw, pre-DX9) a game without a depth buffer and without normal maps on textures can generate a very rough (as-fast-as-possible normal map) and then use it to implement other coloring effects on top of this "on-the-fly" alpha RGB channels.

The only problem is that this would probably be a very slow-performing effect, and it might require "CUDA" core usage for acceptable performance. Not really sure, but I am just spit-balling.

I don't know if I am making any sense or even using the right terminology, but hopefully, I am making some sense. I would post pictures but unfortunately, this forum doesn't seem to allow it (unless my script/ad-blocker is interfering).

Perhaps this "full-screen normal map" can be used as a "fake depth-buffer (z-buffer)". and the HUD elements could be masked off.

I really like this project but I feel like it should be focusing on retro-game support rather than modern game support (I assume this is the case only because the modern game implementation is much easier).
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by drv30.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.