Welcome, Guest.
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Rain Effects

Rain Effects 1 year 9 months ago #1

  • Wefi
  • Wefi's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 4
I have two Ideas for a semi awesome idea for a shader. I do not know much about Shaders, so please excuse the incorrect terms.

Idea 1: Rain drops on Camera.
This could be as simple as this. Random placement of Drops on the Camera lens. I wouldn't mind learning how to write this myself. but do not know where to start. I feel this is a nice feature to have since some games tend to over look this, example would be GTA 5.
Republic Commando Example


Idea 2: Rain in general.
Im looking for something like a simple overlay like the Heathaze in the MASTER FX where it simulates the look of rain falling down, not to over the top, but something light, and easy.

On a more complex scale of things... Dynamic Rain. I found this blog on Dynamic Rain Effects to be quite interesting. They using Depth layers to have the rain appear more diverse then running a singular rain sheet, it uses 4 sheets on a layer depth system. I am not sure if this is possible using the DepthBuffer would work. If this is possible, it would look good on most of the older games that have DepthBuffer access, and poor rain effects.

Below is the blog, I am not asking for the Puddles, or the splashes... Since I dont think Reshade can detect planes with out raytrace
Dynamic Rain Blog.
Remember Me Demo
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Rain Effects 1 year 9 months ago #2

  • Ganossa
  • Ganossa's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 최정장군
  • Posts: 790
  • Thank you received: 838
Its basically good ideas but I think the reason no one ever thought of doing something in this particular direction is rain in the main menu, inside building or during sunny weather ;) There are other shader examples that have little use for generic injectors but this is of course something that could be solely used for screenshots. Question is how much you want to invest for something with limited usefulness (though it might be interesting to do it)
Is there anything in particular you would like to know about development to get started yourself? There is also a very basic dev tutorial in the framework thread for starters which however is more about integration of your code into the existing solutions. :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wefi

Rain Effects 1 year 9 months ago #3

The main problem would be detecting weathers, there might be some screen-space trick for particular games, or using cheat engine that sort of stuff.

About idea 1, enb has droplet lens effect, you can probably convert it here with tutorial in this forum.
enbseries.enbdev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3293
Not sure what do you mean in idea 2, but 3D rain can't be done without camera angle, or at least angle of camera z axis, otherwise you will see rain going side ways when looking at sky or floors.

Ray tracing is doable with depth buffer in a sense, of course it will be limit to local area considering it is in post process, but effects like screen space reflection or splash can be done.
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by kingeric1992.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wefi

Rain Effects 1 year 9 months ago #4

  • crosire
  • crosire's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2536
  • Thank you received: 1452
kingeric1992 wrote:
The main problem would be detecting weathers, there might be some screen-space trick for particular games, or using cheat engine that sort of stuff.
Or simply bind it to a key so one can toggle it on and off manually =P
Cheers, crosire =)
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wefi

Rain Effects 1 year 9 months ago #5

  • Wefi
  • Wefi's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 4
LuciferHawk wrote:
Its basically good ideas but I think the reason no one ever thought of doing something in this particular direction is rain in the main menu, inside building or during sunny weather ;) There are other shader examples that have little use for generic injectors but this is of course something that could be solely used for screenshots. Question is how much you want to invest for something with limited usefulness (though it might be interesting to do it)
Is there anything in particular you would like to know about development to get started yourself? There is also a very basic dev tutorial in the framework thread for starters which however is more about integration of your code into the existing solutions. :)

I understand verylittle of how the shaders are written, i can modify some of the code, but nothing like converting ENB into a Reshade Format.
crosire wrote:
kingeric1992 wrote:
The main problem would be detecting weathers, there might be some screen-space trick for particular games, or using cheat engine that sort of stuff.
Or simply bind it to a key so one can toggle it on and off manually =P

thats the plan! :)

thanks for the replies guys!
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Wefi.
The administrator has disabled public write access.