Silver colours can be recognised and have more reflection to it?

• ReflectiveBumpmapping
  • ReflectiveBumpmapping's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 week 2 days ago #1 by ReflectiveBumpmapping
I was using ReShade in Half-Life 1, and I noticed how bland the tip of the crowbar still is. In reality, it should be more reflective. That's when my idea pops into my head. Recognizing silver colors. Since grey is commonly used for metal in most games, it could have more "glare" or whatever than other colours. If something like this already exists, my bad. I'm pretty new to ReShade.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 22 hours ago #2 by Tojkar
Colors in video games are not physical properties of an object in the 3d-world, ie. a crowbar. They are properties of a 2d image shown on your screen. Very similar as a physical drawing on a paper.

When that 2d-image is moving the said color changes anywhere between very dark to very light gray and sometimes is even colored depending on the lights of the scene. That is why it is impossible to extract the color of a particular 3d-object without actually affecting everything else too colored gray or grayish.

You could possibly use a depth mask to limit the effect only on your hands and tools. That would keep the rest of the world clean but your character and tools would still have the exact same problem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ReflectiveBumpmapping

• ReflectiveBumpmapping
  • ReflectiveBumpmapping's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 week 21 hours ago #3 by ReflectiveBumpmapping
Replied by ReflectiveBumpmapping on topic Silver colours can be recognised and have more reflection to it?
Thanks so much for that info. All of these types of things seem MAGIC to me.