Is Motion Interpolated Interlacing a thing?

• VelicoNex
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 8 months ago #1 by VelicoNex Is Motion Interpolated Interlacing a thing? was created by VelicoNex
So, I know people ask about real-time frame interpolation, and that is generally regarded as a bad or impossible idea.. but I had a kind of hacky idea about it.

What if you were to take an interlaced previous frame and alternatively overlay it onto each full frame?
So you would always have the original image with half of the previous frame on top of it.

You could perhaps even apply this only where there is movement or colour/contrast changes.

This would obviously cause visual distortion and half? a frame of lag but perhaps could give the impression of more fluid movement. 

Perhaps you could use the traditional lines or a checkerboard pattern or even some kind of dithered interlacing? 

Many low-res games being (for example) emulated on newer hardware could greatly benefit from any perceptual fps increase and have lots of extra pixels to spare. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• D3xxter
More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #2 by D3xxter Replied by D3xxter on topic Is Motion Interpolated Interlacing a thing?
It's an interesting idea and it would be great if someone knowledgeable in coding could share their opinion on whether it's possible to implement it. It would, for example, help solve problems with PC-98 games that suffer from lack of fps due to platform specifics.
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by D3xxter.

• Fu-Bama
More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #3 by Fu-Bama Replied by Fu-Bama on topic Is Motion Interpolated Interlacing a thing?
Checkerboard rendering is definitely possible for games in software-mode. For those running on GPU, most likely yes. Ghost of Tashima on PS5 uses such rendering at 4K resolution. But there's no interpolation of frames, just checkerboard interlacing.
For ReShade I could make such effect, it won't necessary increase FPS, but it will feel the same, as checkerboard rendering, so one can see how the delay looks.
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Fu-Bama.

• Fu-Bama
More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #4 by Fu-Bama Replied by Fu-Bama on topic Is Motion Interpolated Interlacing a thing?
Ok, check out this shader. It gives the feeling of checkerboard interlacing of frames.

github.com/Fubaxiusz/fubax-shaders/blob/...kerboardInterlace.fx

It does not increase FPS, but gives accurate representation of this rendering technique. The result is sort-of (ugly) motion blur. Maybe some dither pattern cold increase the visual quality, but it would have to be driven by similarity of colors in-between frames I guess, or depth.
It's a good start doe for motion-vector detection shader, that could create more beautiful motion-blur.
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Fu-Bama.
The following user(s) said Thank You: VelicoNex

• VelicoNex
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 2 weeks ago #5 by VelicoNex Replied by VelicoNex on topic Is Motion Interpolated Interlacing a thing?
Thank you so much for showing me what the idea would look like - I'm thoroughly impressed by your work and must apologize for not checking back earlier.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.