Bloom - adding a 2nd threshold to limit bloom in bright areas?

• Wez22
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #1 by Wez22 Bloom - adding a 2nd threshold to limit bloom in bright areas? was created by Wez22
Hey folks,

Obviously, with a bloom shader like BloomAndLensFlares [Bloom.fx] there is a fBloomThreshold  where "Every pixel brighter than this value triggers bloom" is determined.
What I'm looking to add is a 2nd Threshold that determines "Every pixel brighter than this value triggers no Bloom"

The reason I would like this option is I like the effect of a very low level of Bloom coupled with a very low BloomThrehold AND I like to utilize HDR.
The problem is that using a bloom shader with HDR leads to the bright areas being blown out, typically leading to the sky/horizon being a mass of pure white (blindingly bright!)

Does anyone with experience of creating custom shaders know how this could be done (or if there is already a bloom shader knocking about that has this option)?
Thanks to anyone who takes the time

Here is, I think, the relevant code of the existing Threshold section from Bloom.fx
Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Wez22. Reason: wording

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.