Reflective Bump Mapping Problems

• Elimina
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #1 by Elimina Reflective Bump Mapping Problems was created by Elimina
Ok, so let me do a quick explanation about my problem. So, I tried Reflective Bump Mapping on Fallout 4 and it work perfectly, but then I tried it on Space Engineers, Assassins Creed Syndicate, GTA 5, and Dying Light and the Reflective Bump Mapping doesn't seem to work at all. I can tell that the effect is active, since I can see a slight black outline on certain parts of the screen, but it does not show anything close to a reflection. Does anybody know why the reflections only work on Fallout and if there is a way I can get it to work on other games?
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Elimina.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Elimina
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 4 months ago #2 by Elimina Replied by Elimina on topic Reflective Bump Mapping Problems
I did a few tests today and I found out that reflective bump mapping only seems to work on DX9 games. After I changed Space Engineers back to DX9, it worked perfectly, and I also tried it on AC2 which also worked. If only DX11 games worked properly :/

• crosire
More
8 years 4 months ago #3 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Reflective Bump Mapping Problems
But Fallout 4 is D3D11, isn't it?

• Elimina
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 4 months ago #4 by Elimina Replied by Elimina on topic Reflective Bump Mapping Problems

crosire wrote: But Fallout 4 is D3D11, isn't it?

oh yeah, I forgot about that. Hm, I wonder what is causing the problems...

• Elimina
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #5 by Elimina Replied by Elimina on topic Reflective Bump Mapping Problems
Actually, I just realised that it may be because of log depth. All of the games that I tried RBM on that didn't work were using Log depth buffering. I have it enabled but then it causes the black outlines
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Elimina.

• JBeckman
More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #6 by JBeckman Replied by JBeckman on topic Reflective Bump Mapping Problems
I was thinking about that too when I saw some Neogaf screenshots and discussions around the effect yesterday, all example games were it didn't work or worked poorly used logarithmic depth buffer (infinite depth.) whereas Fallout 4 is using the "older" technique (Same engine as Skyrim after all.) as I understand it logarithmic solves issues with "z-fighting" and clipping over far distances (Thus it's use in GTA V, Dying Light, Assassin's Creed Unity and Syndicate and Witcher 3 to name a few.) but I imagine effects making use of the depth buffer might have some issues with that method, I know cel-shading effects don't really work ideally from what I've tested myself so it might be the same here.
(Probably differs from one effect to another, DOF comes up pretty often on these forums and it seems you can just adjust the parameters a bit and it can be made functional again, might be the same with AO effects and others but I haven't checked those effects much myself.)

EDIT: Come to think of it Unity engine games and others which make use of inverted / flipped depth buffers might have similar issues, latest Github shader pack does have a setting for handling that though. :)
(And some pseudo depth setting which I haven't tested much yet.)
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by JBeckman.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.