How can I fix this?

• yordan
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 8 months ago #1 by yordan How can I fix this? was created by yordan
http://prnt.sc/c4e013

How can I fix this?

Something similar can be seen with ReShade off but with it on it's a lot more visible.

More screenshots:
ReShade on
http://prnt.sc/c4e2ml

Off
http://prnt.sc/c4e3rd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Marty McFly
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #2 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic How can I fix this?
What you see there are banding artifacts because the color range to display a smooth gradient is not enough, the steps from one color to the next possible one (like RGB 100 100 100 to RGB 100 100 101) is too large so one color step goes on for many pixels. Luckily the ReShade framework has a shader called "deband" that basically blurs out and dithers those areas without touching other areas and hurting details. Base configuration is just fine, enable it and done.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Marty McFly.

• yordan
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 8 months ago #3 by yordan Replied by yordan on topic How can I fix this?
Tried it and it doesn't make a big difference. There is a slight improvement but the banding is still there.

• Marty McFly
More
7 years 8 months ago #4 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic How can I fix this?
Then try to configure it. I managed to remove all banding from my Witcher 3 with it but don't remember the exact settings unfortunately. Also make sure that the deband is last in the pipeline and applies after all other shaders (except image grain or things like these).

• JBeckman
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #5 by JBeckman Replied by JBeckman on topic How can I fix this?
There's also a deband for the SweetFx shaders and another from a different shader author with the one from SweetFx as I understood it mostly solving potential shader caused banding from the injected shaders whereas the other one is a adaption from one of the movie players (Media player classic?) and from my own testing it has worked really well in most games although it does introduce a slight blurriness. :)
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by JBeckman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yordan

• yordan
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 8 months ago #6 by yordan Replied by yordan on topic How can I fix this?
I used dither from sweetfx and it works much better than deband. It doesn't remove banding completely but now it's unnoticeable unless I'm specifically looking for it.

• yordan
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 8 months ago #7 by yordan Replied by yordan on topic How can I fix this?
I configured it and managed to remove pretty much all banding but the image quality worsened significantly. I'm using "dither" from the sweetfx shaders and it works great. Now I can only notice banding in the night sky and only if I specifically look for it.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.