Welcome, Guest.
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: [SOLVED] Bad settings! (ReShade w/ older SweetFX versions?)

Bad settings! (ReShade w/ older SweetFX versions?) 1 year 9 months ago #1

I need help getting some CRT settings to work with SweetFX 2.0. Or, I'd like to use Reshade with SweetFX 1.4.

The game in question is 1001 Spikes (which is OpenGL, not Direct X).

I've got a perfect CRT filter effect that I use for games like Shovel Knight and Castle in the Darkness:

I've tried, but I haven't been able to get the same effect in ReShade + SweetFX 2.0. Unfortunately, not being able to define custom X / Y resolutions are what's causing the headaches. Depending on the games and how they render, you may wish to have wildly different values. For instance, Shovel Knight is 'pixel perfect', but is actually rendered in a high-resolution. So, I set the X resolution much higher to ensure smooth scrolling, but Y is low to get intended effect.

Here are the 1.4 settings for Shovel Knight:

// Set to 1 for ON or 0 for OFF
#define USE_SMAA_ANTIALIASING 0 //[0 or 1] SMAA Anti-aliasing : Smoothens jagged lines using the SMAA technique.
#define USE_FXAA_ANTIALIASING 0 //[0 or 1] FXAA Anti-aliasing : Smoothens jagged lines using the FXAA technique
#define USE_CARTOON 0 //[0 or 1] Cartoon : "Toon"s the image.
#define USE_ADVANCED_CRT 1 //[0 or 1] Advanced CRT : Simulates an old CRT TV display. Set gaussian blur along with it to get a halation effect
#define USE_BLOOM 0 //[0 or 1] Bloom : Makes bright lights bleed their light into their surroundings (relatively high performance cost)
#define USE_HDR 0 //[0 or 1] HDR : Not actual HDR - It just tries to mimic an HDR look (relatively high performance cost)
#define USE_LUMASHARPEN 0 //[0 or 1] LumaSharpen : Also sharpens the antialiased edges which makes them less smooth - I'm working on fixing that.
#define USE_GAUSSIAN 1 //[0 or 1] Gaussian Blur : can be used to... blur, but also bloom/hazy/glowy look, also unsharp masking
#define USE_FILMGRAIN 0 //[0 or 1] Filmgrain effect
#define USE_TECHNICOLOR 0 //[0 or 1] TECHNICOLOR : Attempts to mimic the look of an old movie using the Technicolor three-strip color process (Techicolor Process 4)
#define USE_DPX 0 //[0 or 1] Cineon DPX : Should make the image look like it's been converted to DXP Cineon - basically it's another movie-like look similar to technicolor.
#define USE_MONOCHROME 0 //[0 or 1] Monochrome : Monochrome makes the colors disappear.
#define USE_LIFTGAMMAGAIN 0 //[0 or 1] Lift Gamma Gain : Adjust brightness and color of shadows, midtones and highlights (avoids clipping)
#define USE_TONEMAP 0 //[0 or 1] Tonemap : Adjust gamma, exposure, saturation, bleach and defog. (may cause clipping)
#define USE_VIBRANCE 0 //[0 or 1] Vibrance : Intelligently saturates (or desaturates if you use negative values) the pixels depending on their original saturation.
#define USE_CURVES 0 //[0 or 1] Curves : Contrast adjustments using S-curves.
#define USE_SEPIA 0 //[0 or 1] Sepia : Sepia tones the image.
#define USE_VIGNETTE 0 //[0 or 1] Vignette : Darkens the edges of the image to make it look more like it was shot with a camera lens. May cause banding artifacts.
#define USE_DITHER 0 //[0 or 1] Dither : Applies dithering to simulate more colors than your monitor can display. This lessens banding artifacts (mostly caused by Vignette)
#define USE_BORDER 0 //[0 or 1] Border : Makes the screenedge black as a workaround for the bright edge that forcing some AA modes sometimes causes.
#define USE_SPLITSCREEN 0 //[0 or 1] Splitscreen : Enables the before-and-after splitscreen comparison mode.

/*

/ Advanced CRT settings /
'
*/
#define CRTAmount 1.00 //[0.00 to 1.00] Amount of CRT effect you want

#define CRTResolutionX 720 //[1 to 2048] Original input width of the game (ie. 320)
#define CRTResolutionY 225 //[1 to 2048] Original input height of the game (ie. 240)
#define CRTgamma 2.4 //[0.0 to 4.0] Gamma of simulated CRT (default 2.4)
#define CRTmonitorgamma 2.2 //[0.0 to 4.0] Gamma of display monitor (typically 2.2 is correct)
#define CRTBrightness 1.53 //[1.0 to 3.0] Used to boost brightness a little. Default is 1.0
#define CRTScanlineIntensity 2 //[2.0 to 4.0] Scanlines intensity (use integer values preferably). Default is 2.0
#define CRTScanlineGaussian 1 //[0 or 1] Use the "new nongaussian scanlines bloom effect". Default is on

#define CRTCurvature 0 //[[0 or 1] "Barrel effect" enabled (1) or off (0)
#define CRTCurvatureRadius 4.0 //[0.0 to 2.0] Curvature Radius (only effective when Curvature is enabled). Default is 1.5
#define CRTCornerSize 0.0010 //[0.0000 to 0.0020] Higher values, more rounded corner. Default is 0.001
#define CRTDistance 2.00 //[0.00 to 4.00] Simulated distance from viewer to monitor. Default is 2.00
#define CRTAngleX 0.00 //[-0.20 to 0.20] Tilt angle in radians (X coordinates)
#define CRTAngleY 0.00 //[-0.20 to 0.20] Tilt angle in radians (Y coordinates). (Value of -0.15 gives the 'arcade tilt' look)
#define CRTOverScan 1.0 //[1.00 to 1.10] Overscan (e.g. 1.02 for 2% overscan). Default is 1.01
#define CRTOversample 1 //[0 or 1] Enable 3x oversampling of the beam profile (warning : performance hit)

/*
/ Gaussian Blur settings /
'
*/
#define GaussEffect 2 //[0|1|2|3] 0 = Blur, 1 = Unsharpmask (expensive), 2 = Bloom, 3 = Sketchy. Default is 2
#define GaussQuality 3 //[0|1|2|3] Warning: 2 and 3 are expensive. Default is 1
#define GaussSigma 1 //[1 to 4] The higher the wider blur/bloom is (only effective when Bloom selected)
#define GaussBloomWarmth 0 //[0|1|2] "Temperature" of the bloom - 0 = neutral, 1 = warm, 2 = hazy/foggy
#define GaussThreshold 0.50 //[0.00 to 1.00] [DX10/11 only] Threshold for what is a bright light (that causes bloom) and what isn't.
#define GaussExposure 43.0 //[0.00 to 100.00] [DX10/11 only] Exposure of the effect (the lower the brighter)
#define GaussStrength 0.15 //[0.00 to 1.00] Amount of effect blended into the final image

You can adjust the resolution settings on a game by game basis, which is how I used it for Castle in the Darkness.

Copying over the shaders (Main.h, AdvancedCRT.h, and GAUSS_DX9 [and 11].fx) gives you an error when launching the game:

"H:\1001 Spikes\SweetFX/Shaders/Main.h(28): error: Redefining defined variable "pixel" from file H:\1001 Spikes\Sweet.fx, line 175."

Tried tinkering around a bit more, but no dice (I'm in over my head!)

Any suggestions on how to get things working?
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by PixelGuy.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Bad settings! (ReShade w/ older SweetFX versions?) 1 year 9 months ago #2

I just discovered these shaders by Timothy Lottes. They look great, and I'd be interested in trying them out if I knew how to implement them into the ReShade public beta.

www.shadertoy.com/view/MsjXzh
www.shadertoy.com/view/XsjSzR

Apologies if these are stupid questions! I'm not a very technical end-user. I looked around for information, but didn't see much that I could actually use given my limited knowledge. I appreciate any assistance! :cheer:

Bad settings! (ReShade w/ older SweetFX versions?) 1 year 9 months ago #3

• crosire
  • Thank you received: 1391
PixelGuy wrote:
They look great, and I'd be interested in trying them out if I knew how to implement them into the ReShade public beta.
Surely possible. The difference is that they are writting in GLSL and ReShade's shader language has more similarities to HLSL. Some hints:
  • Replace "vec[X]" with "float[X]".
  • Prefix the global variables with a "static const " (like "static const float hardScan=-8."). This is no requirement, but it will give you a performance boost.
  • The "iResolution.x" and "iResolution.y" macros in Shadertoy are called "BUFFER_WIDTH" and "BUFFER_HEIGHT" in ReShade (because InjectSMAA used to call them that way).
  • The "fract" intrinsic function is called "frac" ReShade (just rename it).
  • There are no hardcoded input/output variables (like gl_FragColor), you need to add them as "in"/"out" function parameters yourself.
  • ReShade uses a technique based approach to handle multiple shaders instead of a single "main" entry shader.

With this in mind, here's a basic setup for www.shadertoy.com/view/XsjSzR to get you started. Try to start from there, port and play around. Shaders can be quite fun to work with. =)
If your run into issues, just report back, somebody or me are happy to help out!

// Emulated input resolution. Optimize for resize.
static const float2 res=float2(BUFFER_WDITH, BUFFER_HEIGHT) / 6.0;

// Hardness of scanline.
static const float hardScan = -8.0;

// sRGB to Linear.
float ToLinear1(float c) {return (c<=0.04045) ?c / 12.92 : pow((c + 0.055) / 1.055, 2.4); }
float3 ToLinear(float3 c) {return vec3(ToLinear1(c.r), ToLinear1(c.g), ToLinear1(c.b)); }

// Entry. Note how I replaced "gl_FragCoord" and "gl_FragColor" with the input and output parameters "fragcoord" and "color"
void main(int float4 pos : VPOS, in float2 fragcoord : TEXCOORD, out float4 color : COLOR)
{
  color.rgb *=
    Bar(fragcoord.x, BUFFER_WIDTH * 0.333)*
    Bar(fragcoord.x, BUFFER_WIDTH * 0.666);
  color.rgb = ToSrgb(color.rgb);
}

// The following creates a fullscreen triangle to render on. Ignore it for now, just note that it's required.
void FullscreenTriangle(in uint id : SV_VertexID, out float4 position : SV_Position, out float2 texcoord : TEXCOORD0)
{
	texcoord.x = (id == 2) ? 2.0 : 0.0;
	texcoord.y = (id == 1) ? 2.0 : 0.0;
	position = float4(texcoord * float2(2.0, -2.0) + float2(-1.0, 1.0), 0.0, 1.0);
}

// This tells ReShade how to use your shader. A "technique" is a collection of passes, which are executed sequentially. A "pass" is a render step, meaning a combination of render states which are bound after which the shaders defined in here are executed.
technique FixingPixelArt < enabled = true; >
{
	pass
	{
		VertexShader = FullscreenTriangle;
		PixelShader = main;
	}
}
Cheers, crosire =)
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by crosire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tybalitea, PixelGuy

Bad settings! (ReShade w/ older SweetFX versions?) 1 year 9 months ago #4

Thank you so much crosire! But, this unfortunately is just WAY over my head. :pinch:

I really appreciate you taking the time, however. I think my best course of action right now is to contact the SweetFX guys and ask them if they can re-implement separate X and Y resolutions.

Bad settings! (ReShade w/ older SweetFX versions?) 1 year 9 months ago #5

• Ioxa
  • Thank you received: 245
PixelGuy wrote:
I just discovered these shaders by Timothy Lottes. They look great, and I'd be interested in trying them out if I knew how to implement them into the ReShade public beta.

www.shadertoy.com/view/MsjXzh
www.shadertoy.com/view/XsjSzR

Apologies if these are stupid questions! I'm not a very technical end-user. I looked around for information, but didn't see much that I could actually use given my limited knowledge. I appreciate any assistance! :cheer:

That second link is basically the PixelartCRT shader in SweetFX, if you wanna use it in your games it's already there.

Also, if you want to learn how to port shaders from GLSL to HLSL compairing the two would probably give you a pretty good idea of what needs to be changed.

Bad settings! (ReShade w/ older SweetFX versions?) 1 year 9 months ago #6

Ioxa, unfortunately the PixelartCRT shader produces awful looking results.

If it's helpful, I can show you some comparison shots using a DirectX9-compatible game (like Shovel Knight). Otherwise, would you have any idea on how to tweak things so it's equivalent to v1.4?

Bad settings! (ReShade w/ older SweetFX versions?) 1 year 9 months ago #7

• Ioxa
PixelGuy wrote:
Ioxa, unfortunately the PixelartCRT shader produces awful looking results.

If it's helpful, I can show you some comparison shots using a DirectX9-compatible game (like Shovel Knight). Otherwise, would you have any idea on how to tweak things so it's equivalent to v1.4?

I was just pointing out that the PixelartCRT shader is one of the two shaders you were asking about being ported to ReShade so if you wanted to try it it was already there. I thought it looked pretty good, a little dark though.

As for the AdvancedCRT shader, the one in the SweetFX 2.0 preview looks the same as the one in 1.4, the settings are all the same so you should be able to plug in the values you were using.

But those settings you posted include the gaussian shader which isn't included in 2.0. You could try using the bloom shader in SweetFX instead, might get it pretty close. If that doesn't work I attempted to port the gaussian shaders to ReShade, but I couldn't get it quite right. Here it is if you want to try it SweetFX w/ gauss. You'll have to use it with ReShade 0.14 SweetFX bundle. Use that file instead of the Sweet.fx that comes with the bundle, just delete the 2 off the end. The settings for the gaussian stuff are in the Sweet.fx file at the very top. They won't match the settings options you posted so you'll have to mess with it to see what looks best for you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PixelGuy

Bad settings! (ReShade w/ older SweetFX versions?) 1 year 9 months ago #8

Ioxa wrote:
As for the AdvancedCRT shader, the one in the SweetFX 2.0 preview looks the same as the one in 1.4, the settings are all the same so you should be able to plug in the values you were using.

I'm confused - the problem I originally outlined was that the AdvancedCRT shader has completely different settings for resolution.

Here is what you get in v1.4:

Advanced CRT settings
#define CRTResolutionX 720 //[1 to 2048] Original input width of the game (ie. 320)
#define CRTResolutionY 225 //[1 to 2048] Original input height of the game (ie. 240)

#define CRTgamma 2.4 //[0.0 to 4.0] Gamma of simulated CRT (default 2.4)
#define CRTmonitorgamma 2.2 //[0.0 to 4.0] Gamma of display monitor (typically 2.2 is correct)
#define CRTBrightness 1.53 //[1.0 to 3.0] Used to boost brightness a little. Default is 1.0
#define CRTScanlineIntensity 2 //[2.0 to 4.0] Scanlines intensity (use integer values preferably). Default is 2.0
#define CRTScanlineGaussian 1 //[0 or 1] Use the "new nongaussian scanlines bloom effect". Default is on
#define CRTCurvature 0 //[[0 or 1] "Barrel effect" enabled (1) or off (0)
#define CRTCurvatureRadius 4.0 //[0.0 to 2.0] Curvature Radius (only effective when Curvature is enabled). Default is 1.5
#define CRTCornerSize 0.0010 //[0.0000 to 0.0020] Higher values, more rounded corner. Default is 0.001
#define CRTDistance 2.00 //[0.00 to 4.00] Simulated distance from viewer to monitor. Default is 2.00
#define CRTAngleY 0.00 //[-0.20 to 0.20] Tilt angle in radians (Y coordinates). (Value of -0.15 gives the 'arcade tilt' look)
#define CRTOverScan 1.0 //[1.00 to 1.10] Overscan (e.g. 1.02 for 2% overscan). Default is 1.01
#define CRTOversample 1 //[0 or 1] Enable 3x oversampling of the beam profile (warning : performance hit)

And in 2.0:

Advanced CRT settings
#define CRTResolution 2.0 //[1.0 to 8.0] Input size coefficent (low values gives the "low-res retro look"). Default is 1.2
#define CRTgamma 2.2 //[0.0 to 4.0] Gamma of simulated CRT (default 2.2)
#define CRTmonitorgamma 2.4 //[0.0 to 4.0] Gamma of display monitor (typically 2.2 is correct)
#define CRTBrightness 1.2 //[1.0 to 3.0] Used to boost brightness a little. Default is 1.0
#define CRTScanlineIntensity 2.0 //[2.0 to 4.0] Scanlines intensity (use integer values preferably). Default is 2.0
#define CRTCurvature 1 //[[0 or 1] "Barrel effect" enabled (1) or off (0)
#define CRTCurvatureRadius 2.0 //[0.0 to 2.0] Curvature Radius (only effective when Curvature is enabled). Default is 1.5
#define CRTCornerSize 0.0100 //[0.0000 to 0.0020] Higher values, more rounded corner. Default is 0.001
#define CRTAngleY -0.15 //[-0.20 to 0.20] Tilt angle in radians (Y coordinates). (Value of -0.15 gives the 'arcade tilt' look)
#define CRTOverScan 1.00 //[1.00 to 1.10] Overscan (e.g. 1.02 for 2% overscan). Default is 1.01
#define CRTOversample 0 //[0 or 1] Enable 3x oversampling of the beam profile (warning : performance hit)

The ability to customize separate resolutions is important, especially for 'retro' indie games, as they'll often use their own methods of scaling and rendering.

That said, thank you so much! You've been a tremendous help and I will definitely fool around with this and see how things go.

Bad settings! (ReShade w/ older SweetFX versions?) 1 year 9 months ago #9

• Ioxa
Thats odd, the version of 1.4 that I have has the same settings as 2.0. You may be using something that someone modified. If you can, upload your AdvancedCRT.h file from the shaders folder and I'll look to see if anything is different. Or if you can't upload it just copy and paste it here.

Bad settings! (ReShade w/ older SweetFX versions?) 1 year 9 months ago #10

Here you go! Full text of AdvancedCRT.h below.
Note: There is another, possibly unrelated(?) CRT.h file in the same Shaders directory. Here is the link to the original package that I downloaded:
sta.sh/01a9yrx9uozi

However, I modified it a bit to achieve the look I was going for.

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by crosire. Reason: Added code and spoiler tags

Bad settings! (ReShade w/ older SweetFX versions?) 1 year 9 months ago #11

• Ioxa
Yup, thats what it was, that shader file was different. I think I got it working right but there was an issue with the CRTOversample setting, "fwidth" was causing an error. I changed the line

float filter = fwidth(ratio_scale.y);

to

float filter = abs(ddx(ratio_scale.y)) + abs(ddy(ratio_scale.y));

Based on a quick google search I think the two are equivalent but I could be wrong. Anyway, try it out and see if it looks right.
AdvancedCRT.h
SweetFX_settings.txt
The following user(s) said Thank You: PixelGuy

Bad settings! (ReShade w/ older SweetFX versions?) 1 year 9 months ago #12

YESSSS!!!

It did the trick! Now I just have to tweak colors and so forth. It looks and runs great! :cheer:

Bad settings! (ReShade w/ older SweetFX versions?) 1 year 9 months ago #13

• Ioxa
PixelGuy wrote:
YESSSS!!!

It did the trick! Now I just have to tweak colors and so forth. It looks and runs great! :cheer:

Cool, glad that worked for you!

Bad settings! (ReShade w/ older SweetFX versions?) 1 year 8 months ago #14

Ioxa wrote:
Yup, thats what it was, that shader file was different. I think I got it working right but there was an issue with the CRTOversample setting, "fwidth" was causing an error. I changed the line

float filter = fwidth(ratio_scale.y);

to

float filter = abs(ddx(ratio_scale.y)) + abs(ddy(ratio_scale.y));

Based on a quick google search I think the two are equivalent but I could be wrong. Anyway, try it out and see if it looks right.
AdvancedCRT.h
SweetFX_settings.txt

I am in the same situation as PixelGuy. I would like to use the set X and Y resolutions as well in the sweetfxsettings.txt ffile. I am trying to use your custom Sweetfxsettings.txt file and AdvancedCRT.h file that are in dropbox with Reshade 0.16 & Sweetfx 2.0. When I try to use them with Shovel Knight I get a Compiling effect failed error and it reads (364,18): error X3004 undeclared identifier Advanced CRT Wrap. I was wondering if you need to use these custom files with a certain version of Reshade to make them work or what else might be wrong since your files seemed to work for PixelGuy? Thanks

Bad settings! (ReShade w/ older SweetFX versions?) 1 year 8 months ago #15

• Ioxa
Looks like something changed in the newer release of SweetFX. This one worked with SweetFX preview 7 and I don't think much has changed since then, but try it out and let me know if it works. Also let me know if it looks right, I'm not familiar with how the shader should look, I just put PixelGuy's settings in there and made sure there weren't any errors.

AdvancedCRT

Bad settings! (ReShade w/ older SweetFX versions?) 1 year 8 months ago #16

Ioxa wrote:
Looks like something changed in the newer release of SweetFX. This one worked with SweetFX preview 7 and I don't think much has changed since then, but try it out and let me know if it works. Also let me know if it looks right, I'm not familiar with how the shader should look, I just put PixelGuy's settings in there and made sure there weren't any errors.

AdvancedCRT

Sadly, I could not get that one to work with the newest Reshade + Sweetfx and I even downloaded the older SweetFX preview 7 and could not get it to work either as I kept getting the same compiling error. I am just erasing the sweetfxsettingstxt. and the advancedCRT.h and replacing them with the ones in the dropbox link and keep getting this error:
H:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Shovel Knight\Sweet.fx(346, 18): error X3004: undeclared identifier 'AdvancedCRTWrap

Bad settings! (ReShade w/ older SweetFX versions?) 1 year 8 months ago #17

• Ioxa
I just downloaded the file and tried it with the newest version of ReShade with SweetFX preview 8 and it worked. Maybe try deleting all the ReShade related files and starting over from scratch just in case something is conflicting somewhere. If you still get an error rename the log file that ReShade creates to .tracelog and run it again. Post the contents of the tracelog on pastebin and post a link to it here. I don't really know what to look for in the tracelog but I'll give it a shot, or maybe someone smarter will come along and solve the problem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kmoney2315

Bad settings! (ReShade w/ older SweetFX versions?) 1 year 8 months ago #18

Ioxa wrote:
I just downloaded the file and tried it with the newest version of ReShade with SweetFX preview 8 and it worked. Maybe try deleting all the ReShade related files and starting over from scratch just in case something is conflicting somewhere. If you still get an error rename the log file that ReShade creates to .tracelog and run it again. Post the contents of the tracelog on pastebin and post a link to it here. I don't really know what to look for in the tracelog but I'll give it a shot, or maybe someone smarter will come along and solve the problem.

It seems that did the trick as I erased everthing and started back from scratch which I had thought I had done already. Another new thing I did was I inserted the new files you linked before I ran the Reshade Setup exe. on the game, as before I had already ran the Reshade Setup exe. and just swapped out the two files after the Setup exe. was already run. Thanks so much for all your help! :)

Bad settings! (ReShade w/ older SweetFX versions?) 1 year 7 months ago #19

• v00d00m4n
  • Thank you received: 3
Can somebody port better crt shaders that does not effect performance that much and looks better?

Gedosato and PCSX2 includes good shaders for making games looks in old good times or like in movies, i think they are much better than sweetfx shaders, if only someone could adapt them to Reshade (i tried, got too many errors and i got very little time to deal with it, so i dropped it).

Also there are good scaling shaders that comes with SVN dosbox, SAI, EAGLE and so on, can anyone port them and attach to sweet fx as well?

And there is one thing that i really miss in any shader pack, there is no single shader, that will allow to filter entire screen, to interpolate any hard pixels like bilinear filtering does. I was thinking that somehow SMAA and FXAA can be hacked to detect huge square pixels and smooth them like texture interpolations does.
Recently i've been messing with Shanty and tried all the CRT filters and results was still bad, i really wish to interpolate whole screen!