SMAA settings for smoothing thin lines

• meowchin
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 2 days ago #1 by meowchin SMAA settings for smoothing thin lines was created by meowchin
Hey guys,
I'm trying to make SMAA smooth out thin, single pixel lines, but no matter what I use, it seems to igore them. What settings should I use to make it work?

This is what I'm talking about:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JBeckman
More
7 years 1 day ago - 7 years 1 day ago #2 by JBeckman Replied by JBeckman on topic SMAA settings for smoothing thin lines
Could be specular highlights or shader related, SMAA(1x) isn't going to be too effective against that type of aliasing unfortunately.
Downsampling together with SMAA works fairly well though but it needs a stronger GPU since the added resolution puts more strain on it.
Last edit: 7 years 1 day ago by JBeckman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: meowchin

• Marty McFly
More
7 years 15 hours ago #3 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic SMAA settings for smoothing thin lines
SMAA as morphological AA doesn't just blur edges, it tries to find common shapes of aliased edges, calculates coverage of pixels and colorizes accordingly. But this only works if you have two evenly colored neighboring objects so you get a sharp zip zag line between them. Single pixel lines like this won't get smoothed by it because the morphological edge detection misses it entirely.
The following user(s) said Thank You: meowchin

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.