Welcome, Guest.
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Static Distant DoF

Static Distant DoF 6 months 3 weeks ago #1

• Zireael
  • Thank you received: 5
I am unable to get the manual focus DOF working correctly, changing the focus distance does not move the DoF "wall" closer or farther away, changing values from one extreme to the other either blurs whole screen or disables it altogether.

Autofocus and mouse driven focus work fine.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Static Distant DoF 6 months 3 weeks ago #2

• Marty McFly
  • We've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas!
  • Thank you received: 943
What have you set for infinitedepth? Low values of that one can make tweaking of manual focus difficult.

Static Distant DoF 6 months 3 weeks ago #3

• Zireael
Marty McFly wrote:
What have you set for infinitedepth? Low values of that one can make tweaking of manual focus difficult.

I am trying this in Witcher 3 to be precise, infinitedepth does not change anything above 0, if I set it at 0 then DOF appears 100s of meters in front of me in background. Above 0 and my whole screen is blurred, i tried every other manual setting and they do nothing. Only autofocus and mouse driven give me working DOF.

Static Distant DoF 6 months 3 weeks ago #4

• Marty McFly
  • We've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas!
  • Thank you received: 943
It's one of the most crucial settings of DoF. A setting of 1.0 makes the whole depth range from camera to sky being used for calculation of blur factors. A setting of let's say 0.01 with a farclip of 1000 means that 1000m*0.01 = 10m are considered as "infinitely" far away. In practice, this means if manual focus depth or in case of autofocus, the focused object is >10m away, it's the same as if you'd look at the sky. This feature makes it easy limiting autofocus to close ranges only so it only blurs stuff if you focus on something really close. Many DoF shaders still produce some blur if you look at something 200m away - which is absolutely false in reallife. Set it to 1.0 and leave it there for manual focus. Set the manual focus distance to 0.05, set the far blur curve and mult to 1.0 and you should see some blur.

Static Distant DoF 6 months 3 weeks ago #5

• Zireael
Marty McFly wrote:
It's one of the most crucial settings of DoF. A setting of 1.0 makes the whole depth range from camera to sky being used for calculation of blur factors. A setting of let's say 0.01 with a farclip of 1000 means that 1000m*0.01 = 10m are considered as "infinitely" far away. In practice, this means if manual focus depth or in case of autofocus, the focused object is >10m away, it's the same as if you'd look at the sky. This feature makes it easy limiting autofocus to close ranges only so it only blurs stuff if you focus on something really close. Many DoF shaders still produce some blur if you look at something 200m away - which is absolutely false in reallife. Set it to 1.0 and leave it there for manual focus. Set the manual focus distance to 0.05, set the far blur curve and mult to 1.0 and you should see some blur.

These are the only 2 results I can get with manual focus.

All the settings in between bear no effect.

Static Distant DoF 6 months 2 weeks ago #6

• Zireael
Marty McFly wrote:

Any clue?

Static Distant DoF 6 months 2 weeks ago #7

• JBeckman
  • Thank you received: 52
Just in case then for Witcher 3 you also want to have these set for ReShade for correct depth. :)

RESHADE_DEPTH_INPUT_IS_REVERSED=1,
RESHADE_DEPTH_INPUT_IS_LOGARITHMIC=1

Either from editing the ini or from in-game, make sure to reload the shaders to update and it should then be able to correctly detect the games depth buffer.