SSGI issue

• jmp909
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 2 weeks ago #1 by jmp909 SSGI issue was created by jmp909
hi Marty,

I know it's an early version of SSGI in the new ME but do you think the issue is my game here? (Binary Domain)

thanks
J

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TinchO
More
9 years 2 weeks ago #2 by TinchO Replied by TinchO on topic SSGI issue
I tested SSGI on two games and works properly. Maybe the problem is your config, share the used values for this config

• jmp909
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 2 weeks ago #3 by jmp909 Replied by jmp909 on topic SSGI issue
just default settings that come with MasterEffect.h

• Marty McFly
More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #4 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic SSGI issue
Why new topic? And I think it is depth buffer output, check it.
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by Marty McFly.

• jmp909
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #5 by jmp909 Replied by jmp909 on topic SSGI issue
I wasn't sure how to raise it. thought it would be easier to separate from the main release thread, especially if i start adding screenshots. Whatever's easiest for you!

seems like the depthbuffer is scaled as nearer the player, compared to the original screenshot.

if you lay the DepthBuffer screenshot over the original, you'll see the depth buffer for the locker windows are not in the same place as the normal screenshot with effects disabled. This explains the "ghosting" you'll see in the SSGI screenshot

(to be honest., I'm happy with NVidia-forced Ambient Occlusion on this game (not shown here), and turning ME's AO off, but i'll leave this here for your information)

thanks
J

Depth Buffer

SSGI

Normal Game settings (but SSAO off, Shadows on)
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by jmp909.

• Euda
More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #6 by Euda Replied by Euda on topic SSGI issue
Doesn't this look as it's supposed to? I suggest increasing SSGI Sampling Range and Occlusion Multiplier if you don't like how it looks at the moment. ;)
Also, is this baked AO or does Binary Domain support SSAO natively. If so, you should deactivate the games' SSAO in the graphics options cause it's just a waste of performance otherwise.
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by Euda.

• jmp909
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #7 by jmp909 Replied by jmp909 on topic SSGI issue
Hi Euda,

I have in-game AO turned off - the shadows on the bottom image (vanilla game, ME effects disabled) I think are just down to the shadow settings, not AO.

if you look at the middle image (in my previous post - SSGI) you can see the locker windows on the left are "ghosted", because the depth buffer has them in a different place than the normal view. also if you look at the unit on the bottom right there is a light patch that should be dark. the whole DepthBuffer is shifted somehow in this game...

if you overlay the top & bottom images, you'll see the character at the end of the corridor is in the same place but all the other 3D objects are shifted on the Z axis, like the depth buffer is somehow scaled, causing the issues

• jmp909
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #8 by jmp909 Replied by jmp909 on topic SSGI issue
Can you see the DepthBuffer is somehow zoomed here? eg look at the light at the top/middle. It is further away in the depth buffer output, than in the screenshot with effects disabled. (You can see the whole light in the Depth Buffer, but in the game some of it is off the top of the screen). Same for the locker windows & handles etc

SSGI debug

Original

Combined (Photoshop)

thanks
j

• Marty McFly
More
9 years 2 weeks ago #9 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic SSGI issue
Then the depth buffer has some issues, so no SSGI problem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jmp909

• jmp909
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 2 weeks ago #10 by jmp909 Replied by jmp909 on topic SSGI issue
understood.

i thought it might be down to one of these but seemingly it isn't. was just guessing though
#define FOV 		75
#define zNearPlane 	0.001

• Marty McFly
More
9 years 2 weeks ago #11 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic SSGI issue

jmp909 wrote: understood.

i thought it might be down to one of these but seemingly it isn't. was just guessing though

#define FOV 		75
#define zNearPlane 	0.001

These two values are inside values only, not to be changed by user at all because znear and zfar highly affect DOF focusing and masking, FOV value is needed for 2 AO techniques and somehow this value acts weird, 70 is fine, 71 makes AO almost invisible, 72 shifts it to the right, 73 to the left, 74 makes it invisible, 75 is fine again.
znear and zfar don't affect the depth buffer scale at all, they are important for depthbuffer precision.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.