How to fix depth shaders not working?

• Bosaapjesse
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 10 months ago #1 by Bosaapjesse How to fix depth shaders not working? was created by Bosaapjesse
So a lot of shaders that use depth seem to not work in a lot of games. From what I've read on these forums it has to do something with being connected to the network. You know, as a protection for in online games or so idk. But I've seen people say that you can work around this by making your own dll or downloading it from someone else. These shaders flickering or not working at all can be very annoying. I wanted to use it in outlast for example, and thats not even an online game haha. So could anyone maybe explain how I fix this? Or even give me a Dll that fixes this for me?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• brazzjazz
More
4 years 8 months ago #2 by brazzjazz Replied by brazzjazz on topic How to fix depth shaders not working?

Bosaapjesse wrote: So a lot of shaders that use depth seem to not work in a lot of games. From what I've read on these forums it has to do something with being connected to the network. You know, as a protection for in online games or so idk. But I've seen people say that you can work around this by making your own dll or downloading it from someone else. These shaders flickering or not working at all can be very annoying. I wanted to use it in outlast for example, and thats not even an online game haha. So could anyone maybe explain how I fix this? Or even give me a Dll that fixes this for me?

The problem is that depth-based effects first need access to the so-called "depth buffer", where information about the depth of pixels is stored relative to the viewpoint. Always install "DisplayDepth" with your shaders, and when you activate it ingame, and if you only see a black screen or just uniform color fields without a structure, then you don't have a depth buffer, thus no working DoF, no AO. Sometimes effects such as MSAA remove the depth buffer (or at least prevent access to it). Also using a compatibility mode (Windows 98, Windows XP etc.) for a game exe may do the trick sometimes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.