Welcome, Guest.
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Alter fx file to do just one specific thing?

Alter fx file to do just one specific thing? 3 weeks 3 days ago #1

Hello!

I'm wondering if you can alter/"gimp" existing fx files to just do one task, so to say. At the moment I'm having some performance issues but noticed that when disabling PPFX_Bloom I reach my target framerate. The thing is that I really only use it because of its great Lens/Dirt texture, mostly because of its slider to "limit visibility solely to bright/almost-white scenes" as it states, but even though I turn off all the Bloom parameters it still takes unnecessary performance when all that is active is the Lens/Dirt texture. I've tried to edit PPFX_Bloom.fx and remove any Bloom parameters and the furthest I got without any compiling errors was a black screen with it enabled (at least the Bloom parameters where gone within the RS overlay). Obviously I don't know anything about coding things like this and wonder if anyone can paste what I need to transform it to only use the Lens/Dirt setting?

Many thanks! :)

dongercat.

(The code:)
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]
Last Edit: 3 weeks 3 days ago by dongercat. Reason: spelling error
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Alter fx file to do just one specific thing? 3 weeks 2 days ago #2

Won't work, as the lens dirt mask is applied where the bloom is, so the shader needs to calculate bloom beforehand, mix it with the dirt texture and show that.
Last Edit: 3 weeks 2 days ago by Marty McFly.

Alter fx file to do just one specific thing? 3 weeks 1 day ago #3

You can try and lower BloomPrecision, it might increase your performance.

Alter fx file to do just one specific thing? 3 weeks 6 hours ago #4

I see...

Yeah, I tried lowering BloomPrecision to RGBA8 but it didn't do anything for me, I'll just have to turn off some other shader and make do with it. I run old games at 4x DSR so the fact that I even manage to cram so much postprocessing and still achieve high framerates should be good enough, I'll manage lol. Thanks for the answers. :)