Alter fx file to do just one specific thing?

• dongercat
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #1 by dongercat Alter fx file to do just one specific thing? was created by dongercat
Hello!

I'm wondering if you can alter/"gimp" existing fx files to just do one task, so to say. At the moment I'm having some performance issues but noticed that when disabling PPFX_Bloom I reach my target framerate. The thing is that I really only use it because of its great Lens/Dirt texture, mostly because of its slider to "limit visibility solely to bright/almost-white scenes" as it states, but even though I turn off all the Bloom parameters it still takes unnecessary performance when all that is active is the Lens/Dirt texture. I've tried to edit PPFX_Bloom.fx and remove any Bloom parameters and the furthest I got without any compiling errors was a black screen with it enabled (at least the Bloom parameters where gone within the RS overlay). Obviously I don't know anything about coding things like this and wonder if anyone can paste what I need to transform it to only use the Lens/Dirt setting?

Many thanks! :)

dongercat.

(The code:)
Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by dongercat. Reason: spelling error

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Marty McFly
More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #2 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Alter fx file to do just one specific thing?
Won't work, as the lens dirt mask is applied where the bloom is, so the shader needs to calculate bloom beforehand, mix it with the dirt texture and show that.
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Marty McFly.

• pyewacket
More
4 years 5 months ago #3 by pyewacket Replied by pyewacket on topic Alter fx file to do just one specific thing?
You can try and lower BloomPrecision, it might increase your performance.

• dongercat
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 5 months ago #4 by dongercat Replied by dongercat on topic Alter fx file to do just one specific thing?
I see...

Yeah, I tried lowering BloomPrecision to RGBA8 but it didn't do anything for me, I'll just have to turn off some other shader and make do with it. I run old games at 4x DSR so the fact that I even manage to cram so much postprocessing and still achieve high framerates should be good enough, I'll manage lol. Thanks for the answers. :)

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.