Welcome, Guest.
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Sniper Elite 4 DX12 depth buffer missing at first

Sniper Elite 4 DX12 depth buffer missing at first 3 weeks 5 days ago #1

Issue:
On startup Sniper Elite 4 DX12 reshade loads and any shaders that rely on the depth buffer (like MXAO or PPFX_SSDO) apply on the loading screen text. Then when loading into a level the shader does not apply to the game world but only seemingly to the escape menu text.

Workaround:
Alt tabbing out of the game and back. Then shaders like MXAO and PPFX_SSDO are visibly applied correctly to the game.

Possible cause - possibly incorrect:
During startup reshade selects the depth buffer it has access to at that time but when loading into an actual level it does not re-detect and select the game world depth buffer. When alt tabbing out of the game and back in it re-detects the depth buffer and work correctly.

My assumptions - possibly incorrect:
I assume the detection of the correct depth buffer is based on which buffer is used the most or if it is used in a certain way? And during startup only the menu text screen exists and that buffer is selected. I think most games reinitialize 3D when loading into a game level from the main menu but sniper 4 possibly does not? So reshade does not know when it has to re-detect the depth buffer again. I imagine this is why alt tabbing works, because it forces reshade to reload and redetect the buffer.

I hope my analysis isn't too wrong as i am a software programmer but not a 3D or graphics programmer in any way shape or form so my knowledge regarding 3D and depth buffers, directx is extremely limited.

Side note: MXAO looks visually weird in dx12 sniper elite 4 so i switched to using the PPFX_SSDO shader wich does seem to produce visually correct results. Both still require the work around with alt tabbing though.
Last Edit: 3 weeks 5 days ago by coldshiver.
The administrator has disabled public write access.