MXAO and SSR cause weird "repeating" or "ghosting" glitches

• Half Way Lambda
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 10 months ago #1 by Half Way Lambda MXAO and SSR cause weird "repeating" or "ghosting" glitches was created by Half Way Lambda
I've been having this issue for a while now and I can't find any forum post that describes the same issue as the one i'm having, so here we go. Basically, even though Reshade detects the depth buffer perfectly and it is configured as it should (enviroment gets more white in the distance in debug mode and everything), there are some weird glitches being caused when using MXAO or the SSR effects (i've linked a video below showing that when using MXAO). But the weird thing is that the effect itself (MXAO or SSR) gets properly applied to the enviroment when I enable it, but there's some sort of a glitchy artifact being repeated over the screen on top of it. It's very hard to explain in words, but it sort of looks like after the effect is applied on the screen like it should, it is "copied" unnecessarily in shifted positions on the screen more than once, they sometimes look a bit distorted too.
I expect this to be an unfixable glitch with my game specifically, but I haven't tried other games to confirm this (and I don't really have any other games installed right now that don't run on the same engine and can properly detect the depth buffer). But if anyone has any idea on why this happens then please mention it. The MXAO and SSR effects that I was using were the qUINT ones, if that makes any difference.

Here's a link if the video doesn't show up automatically: imgur.com/YYGPBix
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ammerty

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mleep
More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #2 by Mleep Replied by Mleep on topic MXAO and SSR cause weird "repeating" or "ghosting" glitches
Sorry I don't have a solution for you, but I just thought I should say that you're not the only one having this issue. I've barely tested it, but I've only had the issue on OpenGL games. I tried to see if the issue was on Dead Space, a DX9 game, but it did not appear. That's the only connection I can make, anyways. What render api were you using?

Edit: Also, just for fun, I tried Reshade 4.0.2, and did not have these issues.
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Mleep.

• Ammerty
More
3 years 9 months ago #3 by Ammerty Replied by Ammerty on topic MXAO and SSR cause weird "repeating" or "ghosting" glitches
Yep I have the same issue, just signed up to see if theirs any fixes, I've got the problem with star wars fallen order.

• Half Way Lambda
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 9 months ago #4 by Half Way Lambda Replied by Half Way Lambda on topic MXAO and SSR cause weird "repeating" or "ghosting" glitches
Hey, sorry for the extremely late reply. I was using the OpenGL API, although I have also tried the Direct3D 9 but it still causes the same issues. In the end I came up to the conclusion that these shaders specifically don't work well with these games, but I found some nice alternatives instead that do the same job. The normal MXAO effect that comes with reshade does the job nicely, and the ReflectiveBumpMapping one is a very effective replacement for the SSR too.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.