[Solved] SMAA + some Ureal Engine games (back buffer format is not RGBA8)

• Spiral Traveller
  • Topic Author
More
11 months 5 days ago - 11 months 5 days ago #1 by Spiral Traveller [Solved] SMAA + some Ureal Engine games (back buffer format is not RGBA8) was created by Spiral Traveller
Some UE games make use of greater color depth, so I get this warning in such cases:

Despite that, Edge Detection actually works with all Types (with correct RESHADE_DEPTH_ settings for Depth).
As seen in Statistics:

So I wonder what exactly happening in such case.
Does SMAA reads "unsupported" format, but uses lower color depth - e.g. approximation and hence mismatch\inaccuracy?
There's also Luminance Edge Detection Type - i guess it's BW\Grayscale by content anyway. So, will it work as intended, just somewhat inaccurate?

I guess Depth Type uses ReShade's "Generic Depth" Add-on and texture doesn't matter in this case. Is that so?
However, it's not much of use , since so many details absent.
So, I'm more interested in use of Luminance if it's less inaccurate or Color if it works acceptable.
Subjectively both of it looks wrong, not good at all... Just stick with SMAA off for such games?
BTW, Ghostrunner is just for example, as it's currently installed - I don't think it really needs SMAA (that much).
Last edit: 11 months 5 days ago by Spiral Traveller.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Spiral Traveller
  • Topic Author
More
11 months 5 days ago #2 by Spiral Traveller Replied by Spiral Traveller on topic SMAA + some Ureal Engine (mb not only) games (back buffer format is not RGBA8)
Got my answer on ReShade Discord server, if anyone interested:

LVutner Today at 11:45 AM

its all in smaa header.
```
* - Depth edge detection is usually the fastest but it may miss some edges.
* - Luma edge detection is usually more expensive than depth edge detection,
* but catches visible edges that depth edge detection can miss.
* - Color edge detection is usually the most expensive one but catches
* chroma-only edges.
```
* 5. All texture reads and buffer writes must be non-sRGB, with the exception
* of the input read and the output write in
* 'SMAANeighborhoodBlending' (and only in this pass!). If sRGB reads in
* this last pass are not possible, the technique will work anyway, but
* will perform antialiasing in gamma space.
```
* IMPORTANT: for best results the input read for the color/luma edge
* detection should *NOT* be sRGB.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.