Higher Quality Depth Buffer image?

• vfxninjaeditor
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 5 months ago #1 by vfxninjaeditor Higher Quality Depth Buffer image? was created by vfxninjaeditor
Hey guys,

I am wondering if an option to force a higher quality depth buffer image would be possible? I use Reshade to composite screenshots together using the various debug controls. For instance, I take a screenshot of the depth buffer and use it to composite high-quality depth of field in Adobe After Effects. The problem I am having is that the depth buffer image doesn't look like the output is 32bit. The image has hard edges where the black/grey/white is transitioning. This makes it hard to use when compositing because it makes the depth of field in After Effects have some unnatural transitions with weird hard edges.

Is it possible to get a debug option to force a higher quality depth buffer? If needed I can supply images showing exactly the issue I am having.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
8 years 5 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Higher Quality Depth Buffer image?
The depth buffer is usually saved in a 24bit integer format. The remaining 8bit are used as a stencil buffer.
This cannot be changed in most cases, because there is only one 32bit float + stencil format, which there is no widespread support for.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.