Regarding the Oculus Rift

• keem85
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #1 by keem85 Regarding the Oculus Rift was created by keem85
Hi Crosire

I know you've tried various headsets in the past, and now recently the consumer version was released for pre-ordering. I was among one of the first ordering the goggles.. I was wondering if you did the same, or are planning to do so now that it's soon out? It would be really great with injectors I think :) It will really be the the thing that pushes first generation headsets to perfection, judging by how much better the DK2 was with your injectors!

Regards
Kim
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by keem85.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Regarding the Oculus Rift
I'm not sure yet to be honest. While the Oculus Rift DK2 was great the first time I tested it, I was much more blown away by the HTC Vive. I cannot speak for the new Oculus Rift though and I personally won't buy either of them until I could compare them live. And then, if I'm convinced, I most likely have to decide for one, which isn't necessarily going to be the Oculus variant.
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by crosire.

• keem85
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 3 months ago #3 by keem85 Replied by keem85 on topic Regarding the Oculus Rift
Oh.. That's understandable. That said, the CV1 is a big step from the DK2, and the OR and Vive is pretty close in comparison (same resolution). Actually it's said the pixel density is a lot better and that the screen door effect is not visible any more on the OR. Both Vive and OR will be really great.

• DrKaii
More
8 years 2 weeks ago #4 by DrKaii Replied by DrKaii on topic Regarding the Oculus Rift
Hi Crosire,

Just so you know, this is a very well known thread in the VR community and we are all hanging on you getting ReShade/SweetFX working with Oculus runtime 1.3 (Direct Mode)

Any chance you could drop an update so satiate the appetites of thousands of people? :)

• crosire
More
8 years 2 weeks ago - 8 years 2 weeks ago #5 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Regarding the Oculus Rift
I'd love to add support for the Rift, now that it is released. But without owning one, I can only do guesswork on how it works by looking at the SDK, which won't produce any good results.
Last edit: 8 years 2 weeks ago by crosire.

• Arkh__Longstride
More
7 years 11 months ago #6 by Arkh__Longstride Replied by Arkh__Longstride on topic Regarding the Oculus Rift

crosire wrote: I'd love to add support for the Rift, now that it is released. But without owning one, I can only do guesswork on how it works by looking at the SDK, which won't produce any good results.

I took the liberty to open a thread about this issue on reddit

www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4ipljn/..._reshade_support_to/

Big fan of your work, hope you will get your hands on a Rift asap and start working on it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: crosire, GrodenVR

• VR-Racer
More
7 years 10 months ago #7 by VR-Racer Replied by VR-Racer on topic Regarding the Oculus Rift
Hi crosire,
I'm a regular sim-racer, and reshade made the biggest difference to the DK2, it was like adding another 50% of resolution to the headset.

Now that I have the Oculus CV1 I can only imagine how good it will be if you can enable reshade to work with the new 1.4 runtime!

While I'm not willing to send you my CV1, the oculus DK2 works with the new runtime as well, so I'd be willing to ship it to you if you need a headset for testing. Let me know!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: keem85, Arkh__Longstride

• Arkh__Longstride
More
7 years 10 months ago #8 by Arkh__Longstride Replied by Arkh__Longstride on topic Regarding the Oculus Rift

VR-Racer wrote: Hi crosire,
I'm a regular sim-racer, and reshade made the biggest difference to the DK2, it was like adding another 50% of resolution to the headset.

Now that I have the Oculus CV1 I can only imagine how good it will be if you can enable reshade to work with the new 1.4 runtime!

While I'm not willing to send you my CV1, the oculus DK2 works with the new runtime as well, so I'd be willing to ship it to you if you need a headset for testing. Let me know!!

You have my thanks sir. Hope Crosire accept :D

• crosire
More
7 years 10 months ago #9 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Regarding the Oculus Rift

VR-Racer wrote: the oculus DK2 works with the new runtime as well, so I'd be willing to ship it to you if you need a headset for testing. Let me know!!

Since the DK2 works with the same runtime (I heard as much too), I should be able to figure it out. So yes, I'd be more than happy if we can make this work. It think it's preferable to continue the discussion via email though: contact@reshade.me.

• Aelius Maximus
More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #10 by Aelius Maximus Replied by Aelius Maximus on topic Regarding the Oculus Rift
If you're looking for more resolution on the headset i've heard the display can be downsampled
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Aelius Maximus.

• Insomnia
More
7 years 10 months ago #11 by Insomnia Replied by Insomnia on topic Regarding the Oculus Rift
What's the latest on this? I see a lot of questions about Oculus and Reshade getting answered with a link to this thread but nothing here has changed for some time now... Just curious. :)

• keem85
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 10 months ago #12 by keem85 Replied by keem85 on topic Regarding the Oculus Rift
Hi Crosire

I don't know the statos or if/when you're going to do this, but I'd like to add that the Oculus Rift SDK is pretty slick in terms of performance.. I used the Oculus debug-tool to double the pixelperdisplay setting, and I ran games like Assetto Corsa with unbeleavalbe difference from what it was with x1..

I can only begin to imagine how great it would look if we added Reshade lumasharpen on it.. The performance with Oculus SDK is an absolute blast.. Keep us informed if anything happens :)

• VR-Racer
More
7 years 10 months ago #13 by VR-Racer Replied by VR-Racer on topic Regarding the Oculus Rift
Hi guys,

I've sent the DK2 off to Crosire, not sure if he's received it yet as he's unfortunately on the other side of the world, it's going to take time. Just gotta be patient.
The following user(s) said Thank You: keem85

• keem85
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 10 months ago #14 by keem85 Replied by keem85 on topic Regarding the Oculus Rift

VR-Racer wrote: Hi guys,

I've sent the DK2 off to Crosire, not sure if he's received it yet as he's unfortunately on the other side of the world, it's going to take time. Just gotta be patient.

That's cool man! Thanks for doing that! I just hope it is not impossible to implement ReShade into this :)

• crosire
More
7 years 9 months ago #15 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Regarding the Oculus Rift
Status update: Managed to hook into the Rift rendering pipeline. But since it's recognized as an entirely different output device, it still needs a lot of additional code before I can start rendering into it. Also, input probably won't work. Then again, that's not much of an issue as I can't really show the in-game UI on the Rift anyway (since it's a static overlay which would quickly cause a headache).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Insomnia, keem85

• Insomnia
More
7 years 9 months ago #16 by Insomnia Replied by Insomnia on topic Regarding the Oculus Rift
Would the Vive be any different in this case?

• keem85
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 9 months ago #17 by keem85 Replied by keem85 on topic Regarding the Oculus Rift

crosire wrote: Status update: Managed to hook into the Rift rendering pipeline. But since it's recognized as an entirely different output device, it still needs a lot of additional code before I can start rendering into it. Also, input probably won't work. Then again, that's not much of an issue as I can't really show the in-game UI on the Rift anyway (since it's a static overlay which would quickly cause a headache).

Cool.. You should post on reddit.com/r/oculus with your progress :) I think many people will be really happy!

• Aelius Maximus
More
7 years 8 months ago #18 by Aelius Maximus Replied by Aelius Maximus on topic Regarding the Oculus Rift
Ummm, is this moving along at all, or has it been abandoned?

• crosire
More
7 years 8 months ago #19 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Regarding the Oculus Rift
Like I said in other topics, I do not have the time to work on this currently. If everything pans out, there will be opportunity to continue it next month. But I cannot guarantee anything.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aelius Maximus

• BlueSkyKnight
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #20 by BlueSkyKnight Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic Regarding the Oculus Rift
I don't know but, it may be easier to program for OSVR that way all the HMD will work. That and to keep the reproduction of work down. Programming is time intensive................... :D

Other then that Ya a lot of VR headsets are going to come and go. May make sense to work on one that works with all. Only problem I see is that OSVR software is not really user friendly.

The VR head sets I know that are out now.

Oculus Rift
Vive
OSVR own HMD

Not counting the many Cell Phone HMD :P

osvr.github.io/
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by BlueSkyKnight.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.