This website seriously needs a wiki & help section

• doubleDizz
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 6 months ago #1 by doubleDizz This website seriously needs a wiki & help section was created by doubleDizz
ReShade is not hard to use. I taught myself how to use the ReShade 2.0.3 Framework and made my own presets for Mad Max, Witcher 3, Fallout 4 and recently Mafia III.

But I just downloaded ReShade 3.0 and I have no fricken clue how to activate the in-game GUI. And nowhere on this site (that isn't buried in a forum post somewhere) does it tell you either. Even the buried readme.md file doesn't state it specifically: "3. Start your game, open the ReShade in-game menu and switch to the "Settings" tab"

Again, ReShade isn't complicated. But the lack of any help guide or wiki makes it so impenetrable to new users. You need to think about these things in the eye of the novice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• doubleDizz
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 6 months ago #2 by doubleDizz Replied by doubleDizz on topic This website seriously needs a wiki & help section
SHIFT+F2!! It took me 15 MINUTES just to find the bloody key! And I found it buried in a post here: reshade.me/forum/releases/2341-3-0?start=20#17164

Again. Wiki. Sort it out.

• crosire
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #3 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic This website seriously needs a wiki & help section
Eh. It doesn't say so anywhere, because it is written in big letters on the top of the screen for at least 10 seconds every single time you start the game. The rest is explained in the in-game tutorial that follows...
It's the easiest to use ReShade and nobody seemed to have trouble reading those texts and figuring it out so far?!
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by crosire.

• JBeckman
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #4 by JBeckman Replied by JBeckman on topic This website seriously needs a wiki & help section
In some few games though (Albeit the ones listed above do not seem affected.) the UI does not appear and depending on screen resolution the text can be pretty tiny (Downsampling in particular when via VSR or DSR but that's out of your control.) so if you don't check the upper left corner it's easy to miss, I think it's displayed for five seconds or so. :)
(EDIT: Oh it's ten seconds.)

Perhaps a quick note in readme.md in the shader pack could be used if this becomes a issue? Just a suggestion though but it beats having a pop-up message in the setup tool or similar which would likely be annoying to some even if it's less easily missed. :)
github.com/crosire/reshade-shaders/blob/master/README.md
(Or just some mention in the initial post of the 3.0 release topic I suppose, as suggested.)

EDIT: Well they all have their downsides I suppose, if you use a message from the setup tool people might just click through it without reading and if you were to include a quickstart.txt or whatever people might miss that as well plus if it's on these forums well not everyone will read the 3.0 release thread either so a in-game message likely was the better method although it can be missed as well.
(Even if you were to add it to the download page people might just scroll past the text for the download url at the bottom.)

(Well this is a problem with software in general though and nothing new as such, well at least it's not as bad as say a EULA txt, seems like nobody reads those. :P )
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by JBeckman.

• doubleDizz
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 6 months ago #5 by doubleDizz Replied by doubleDizz on topic This website seriously needs a wiki & help section
Yeah I didn't see the "Shift+F2" comment that flashed up up in the ReShade console part. My fault I guess. It's just frustrating man. But I'm sorry for blowing up a bit, I know you not getting paid to do this (I'm looking for the donate button now :D).

Maybe a community wiki might be an idea. Like something anyone can attribute to. There are dozens of questions answered in the forum daily. Each one of those could be a short article in a searchable site wiki. It wouldn't be a perfect knowledge base, but it would share out the load and help more than having nothing?

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.