Some suggestions for non-gui usage

• brussell
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 11 months ago #1 by brussell Some suggestions for non-gui usage was created by brussell
Since I rarely use the gui (and maybe others too, or be it just for testing purposes), it would be nice to have following features, as currently one has to create a profile first to just access these settings.

1. set screenshotformat with a preprocessor definition (like in older reshade versions)
2. enable reload button before profile creation, and not after

ps: totally offtopic, just curious: crosire, any reason for the delays in pull request processing @reshade-shaders repository?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Some suggestions for non-gui usage
You can skip the tutorial via the setup tool (there a button to open some basic ReShade settings at the end), so that no profile is necessary.

As for GitHub: I tend to check notifications to see whats new and then forget about them before taking action. So that's why sometimes pull requests get lost until weeks later. Sorry about that.
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by crosire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: brussell

• brussell
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #3 by brussell Replied by brussell on topic Some suggestions for non-gui usage
I always install ReSade manually, going through the setup process just to change the screenshot format would be too much hassle.

Nevertheless, I now know that I can change the setting via the settings tab (without profile creation) or directly in the ReShade.ini.
Though here comes another little inconvenience: I would like to copy ReShade.ini between games but ReShade always writes the absolute path to "EffectSearchPaths".
Setting it to "EffectSearchPaths=.\" and enable write protection on the file works nice, but thats a somewhat fishy solution.
Hence my question: could you also allow relative paths in ReShade.ini for easier protability?

edit: Summarizing my suggestions:
1. Give the possibility to set as much options as possible through preprocessor definitons, so one doesn't have to use the gui (when using a single ReShade.fx)
1b) If that is not wanted, please allow relative paths for easy Reshade.ini portability
2. Enable reload button before tutorial, preferably with a predefined hotkey (eg. SHIFT+F3) and also settable via preprocessor definiton
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by brussell.

• Martigen
More
5 years 11 months ago #4 by Martigen Replied by Martigen on topic Some suggestions for non-gui usage

brussell wrote: I always install ReSade manually, going through the setup process just to change the screenshot format would be too much hassle.

Nevertheless, I now know that I can change the setting via the settings tab (without profile creation) or directly in the ReShade.ini.
Though here comes another little inconvenience: I would like to copy ReShade.ini between games but ReShade always writes the absolute path to "EffectSearchPaths".
Setting it to "EffectSearchPaths=.\" and enable write protection on the file works nice, but thats a somewhat fishy solution.
Hence my question: could you also allow relative paths in ReShade.ini for easier protability?

I've got to admit I've come across this too.

I've setup Reshde to have a single shader repository shared globally, and when I install it to a new game I copy across pre-defined ini files with some basic settings and the global shader/textures repositories set, but I have to manually edit the paths to the game reshade ini file otherwise it won't pick it up as I can't use relative.

• brussell
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 11 months ago #5 by brussell Replied by brussell on topic Some suggestions for non-gui usage
So, would you consider sth. of the suggestions, crosire? Relative paths and/or early reload buttion/key?

• crosire
More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #6 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Some suggestions for non-gui usage
ReShade supports relative paths, it simply converts them to an absolute path on load. Not doing that would break relative paths in some games that set a custom working directory. But I guess that's not too important, so I can remove that conversion for it to save the same relative paths it loaded.
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by crosire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: brussell

• brussell
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 11 months ago #7 by brussell Replied by brussell on topic Some suggestions for non-gui usage
Thank you crosire,
Btw, forget my second suggestion, since the tutorial can be skipped easily by setting "TutorialProgress=4". Though I would still appreciate an assignable reload-key (settable via ReShade.ini would suffice)

• JBeckman
More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #8 by JBeckman Replied by JBeckman on topic Some suggestions for non-gui usage
Isn't ReShade.ini used in place of it not finding DXGI, D3D9, D3D10, D3D11 or OpenGL32 .ini too?

Then again much like Martigen's post above I use a ReShade folder with the shader preset, shader files and shader textures and then copy ReShade32 or ReShade64 .dll over along with a base ReShade.ini for the games I'm using the .dll in with some renaming depending on what graphics API the game in question is using. :)

Works pretty well though then again I mostly just have a singular preset for SMAA and the depth buffer shader for most titles, having multiple presets would require a bit more editing of said config file for individual games. :)
(With a in-game adjustment through the ReShade GUI for it to save any additional options added between updates and then these can get moved to the base files, same with shader changes though these are more rare.)
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by JBeckman.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.