QoL minor suggestion

• Martigen
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 3 months ago #1 by Martigen QoL minor suggestion was created by Martigen
To make installation even easier for those users who like to use a set of custom settings for every install (i.e, effects toggle keys, global shader/textures directories, fps/clock toggles, style etc):

When running the Reshade installer, if it finds a Reshade.ini in the current directory where the installer is being run from, it automatically copies this to the game's install directory. It also updates the message box to confirm it's done this (as a reminder).

This would save manually copying across an ini file each time, and negates the need to use the 'Edit Settings' option at the end which takes longer to setup browsing or typing in directories than just copying a file across.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Viper_Joe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic QoL minor suggestion
This is now supported. Setup tool for 4.5.3 (that you can download on reshade.me/#download , setup tool version is 3.1.0) has been updated.

It will only copy ReShade.ini over on fresh installs (as in, no ReShade.ini exists next to the game yet).
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by crosire.

• Martigen
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 2 months ago #3 by Martigen Replied by Martigen on topic QoL minor suggestion

crosire wrote: This is now supported. Setup tool for 4.5.3 (that you can download on reshade.me/#download , setup tool version is 3.1.0) has been updated.

It will only copy ReShade.ini over on fresh installs (as in, no ReShade.ini exists next to the game yet).

Apologies for delayed reply. Tested it out and works perfectly! Thank you Crosire :)

Could I trouble you for one more request?

So automatically copying across the Reshade.ini as above is part of the equation, the other is a custom game.ini (that Reshade.ini by default points to) that stores common default settings for core shaders. I still need to manually copy this across, so it's not a completely automated process.I realise copying this across as well is technically impractical unless there were a standard name it looked for (I just use 'Reshade-game.ini'). But honestly, I can live with re-setting these common shader values with each game install -- the real pain in the bum is the technique ordering list: I move all the most commonly used shaders to the top so they're easy to find and configure quickly. But with each fresh install to a new game, these shaders are all over the place in the list (and right now I have 118 shaders installed in my common shader directory!) as this is stored in the game ini file. So there's a ton of scroll, right-click, move to top; scroll, right-click, move to top; scroll, right-click, move to top.... (and then sorting those in order).

Would it be possible to store the 'TechniqueSorting' variable in Reshade.ini? Technically this is (I think) a UI-based value not a game-profile value (such as shaders selected, and shader settings) as it sorts the display list. If you're open to it one optimal solution that also guarantees backward compatibility, so nothing changes for all current profiles people use:

* Store and read TechniqueSorting in Reshade.ini by default
* If TechniqueSorting is also present in a PresetFiles ini file, this overrides the value in Reshade.ini

This actually also allows you to start with a default preferred sorted list, and still store any changes made to this sorting for each game profile as needed.

Thoughts?

• Martigen
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 2 months ago #4 by Martigen Replied by Martigen on topic QoL minor suggestion
@Crosire, just bumping in case you didn't see this as was posted just before forums went down and the related shenanigans.

• crosire
More
4 years 2 months ago #5 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic QoL minor suggestion
Done: github.com/crosire/reshade/commit/33d910...cd9f7be80fea55309e8e
[GENERAL]
TechniqueSorting=...
will be used as a default when a preset does not have the value.

It has to be stored in the preset otherwise, since the sorting may change depending on which effect files and techniques a preset uses (as it is dependent on the "Technique" value in the preset).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Martigen

• Martigen
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 1 month ago #6 by Martigen Replied by Martigen on topic QoL minor suggestion
Awesome, thanks @Crosire :)

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.