Please return effect compile warnings to technique tooltips

• Spiral Traveller
  • Topic Author
More
11 months 1 week ago - 11 months 1 week ago #1 by Spiral Traveller Please return effect compile warnings to technique tooltips was created by Spiral Traveller
Changelog

5.9.0:
Miscellaneous:
  • Removed effect compile warnings from technique tooltips
Please add it back. It was way more convenient to see which shader exactly causes an error.

[img

In this specific case (Unreal Engine - Ghostrunner) it't SMAA.fx warning: V__colorLinearSampler: texture does not support sRGB sampling (back buffer format is not RGBA8) (ReShade 5.8.0).
Sure, it's still in the logs in 5.9.0, but it's far less comfortable.
Why to remove functional things in the first place?
Please, add it back.
Last edit: 11 months 1 week ago by Spiral Traveller.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
11 months 6 days ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Please return effect compile warnings to technique tooltips
It was removed because the forum, Discord etc. were spammed with people complaining about "errors" they didn't understand (which really were just those warnings that are primarily targeted at effect developers, and they would know where to see them elsewhere anyway, be it the log, the file list of the right click context menu or the in-overlay code editor).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Spiral Traveller

• Spiral Traveller
  • Topic Author
More
11 months 6 days ago #3 by Spiral Traveller Replied by Spiral Traveller on topic Please return effect compile warnings to technique tooltips
I see... how about making it optional then?
Tick in settings and maybe off by default?

From my point of view it's (was) pretty convenient.
And actually maybe even more needed for people who don't understand these warnings, as they generally indicate that something goes wrong.
I'm not a developer, but guess warning in example above indicates that default color edge detection in SMAA won't work as intended because of different format.
So i won't use SMAA at all in that case or choose different edge detection method in options (which may not work as intended, though). And\or search what exactly wrong and how to fix it if possible.
Without obvious warnings people are likely to use such options anyway to get unsatisfying results and blame ReShade and\or shaders.

• crosire
More
11 months 5 days ago - 11 months 5 days ago #4 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Please return effect compile warnings to technique tooltips
Most of the critical warnings from before have been converted to errors that are presented as "failed to compile" entries in the technique list. The leftovers shouldn't prevent effects from working correctly.
E.g. the sRGB warning doesn't cause SMAA to not work, just means it's running in gamma rather than linear space, which can degrade its quality slightly. But it's not like something can be done about it, since the format the game renders with is fixed. And most people won't know what these terms mean, so it just adds to confusion showing them prominently.

I've been contemplating adding a "developer mode" that can be enabled in the settings that shows more advanced stuff like this though.
Last edit: 11 months 5 days ago by crosire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Spiral Traveller

• Spiral Traveller
  • Topic Author
More
11 months 5 days ago #5 by Spiral Traveller Replied by Spiral Traveller on topic Please return effect compile warnings to technique tooltips
Thank you.
Developer mode or just option in settings - it's still better than just cut it off.

I did some research about SMAA just after that post. Even created the topic here in Shaders & Effects/Troubleshooting.
Which is now solved and may be deleted. However , maybe some people might find it useful.
Got my answer at ReShade Discord. Turns out, that info was already in SMAA.fxh header, but I didn't thought about looking there.
Since it wasn't in tooltips or otherwise aviable directly in UI

I guess "degrade its quality slightly" is a bit of understatement. I've seen how badly messed up pictures with color profile missmatch or just wrong gamma can be. Especially after comparing it to original. E.g. viewing at least 16-bits/channel color image in software without color management and\or in 8-bits/channel mode. Let alone RAW - converting them to web standards is actually mutilating.

It may be not so apparent when using it "just" as source for edge detection. But it's far from perfect even with correct format.
Resulting picture may actually look considerably worse. As seen on way too many "my state-of-the-art enhanced preset vs vanilla" pictures.
Though it mostly not because of antialiasing.

"format the game renders with is fixed" - there's r.SceneColorFormat for Engine.ini in case of UE, but I never messed with it (yet).
Guess it's hardly adequate to slaughter overall image quality just for the sake of antialiasing.

Speaking of color depth in "suggestions" - I guess it was already suggested - ReShade needs means to capture and store images with greater color depth. I guess it capable to somewhat capture it now (there was problems iirc), but aviable screenshot formats imply that it can't be stored without loss.
Personally I don't really need that. But it looks like there's plenty of people considering edited screenshots "virtual photography" and "art". Or perhaps without quotes - maybe they're right. Including right here at forum, at ReShade Discord, etc.
Being somewhat familiar with 3D-modelling\rendering and photography, i know that such people will greatly benefit from having higher quality source. Even if it's totally crippled afterwards - they need some extra just for editing, it's not overkill.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.