[SOLVED] Sims 4 Game Crash with Reshade

• CheeseKate
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 7 months ago #1 by CheeseKate Sims 4 Game Crash with Reshade was created by CheeseKate
I apologize in advance if I somehow missed a thread where the resolution to this has been posted. I've searched every which way I can think of and have been troubleshooting for several hours now without result, but I feel like the answer is right in front me and I'm just not seeing it. It's beyond frustrating!

I just updated to a clean install of Windows 10 and, of course, everything breaks. The Sims 4 is the first game I'm trying to get working in Windows 10 and I'm having so much trouble getting it to work with Reshade + SweetFX when it worked perfectly in Windows 7. I get the welcome text for Reshade when I start the game up but then it's almost an immediate crash to desktop. I exceed all the game's requirements by quite a bit so I know it isn't a hardware issue. Here is what my log says:

Warning: Spoiler!

Here is what I have done to try and fix the issue already (mostly by suggestions on this forum):
  • I was originally trying to install the Reshade + SweetFX 2.0 standalone package. So then I tried the Reshade framework package.
  • Tried using the ENBInjector without success
  • Updating my Visual Redistributes (got 2010, 2012, and 2013 and made sure I had 32-bit and 64-bit)
  • Ran Windows Update and made sure I had no outstanding updates
  • Searched high and low for any overlays that I may be overlooking but I had disabled Origin In-Game, don't even have Steam running again yet, and haven't installed any other overlay programs like AfterBurner, Nvidia Inspector, etc. Out of sheer desperation, I uninstalled GeForce Experience, but no success.
  • Tried renaming d3d9.dll to dxgi.dll
  • Made sure I am running everything in administrator mode

Any assistance anyone can give me would be greatly, greatly appreciated. I know Sims 4 isn't as amazing as Skyrim or many of the other games mentioned on this forum (I do have an amazingly modded out Skyrim back-up to restore thanks to the help of shader tools like this and ENB, thank you so much :)) but I do love creating houses and the game just seems so dull without it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• CheeseKate
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 7 months ago #2 by CheeseKate Replied by CheeseKate on topic Sims 4 Game Crash with Reshade
Just wanted to post an update that I finally fixed the issue. I ended up downloading this DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer thing from Microsoft ( link here ) and got both SweetFX 1.5 and Reshade 0.19.2 + SweetFX 2.0 working with the Sims 4. So I guess Windows 10 installed DirectX 12 without installing components for previous versions of DirectX? I would have thought all the Windows updates and whatnot would have fixed that and they would have filled in the gaps there but I guess not.

In any case, I wanted to be sure I posted the solution in case anyone else finds themself in a similar position with another game. :)

• crosire
More
8 years 7 months ago #3 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Sims 4 Game Crash with Reshade
Damn. I posted exactly that as solution, but then thought, that cannot be it, since it sounded like the game was working without ReShade and deleted the post again. Anyway, glad to hear it's working now. Just to make sure, did the game work without ReShade, before installing the DirectX 9 runtime?

• CheeseKate
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 7 months ago #4 by CheeseKate Replied by CheeseKate on topic Sims 4 Game Crash with Reshade
Thanks, crosire! It did not work with Reshade or even just SweetFX before installing the DirectX runtime. It was just crashing after the welcome text and giving me the little "The Sims 4 has stopping working..." message. I tried SweetFX 1.4, 1.5, and the Reshade package I'm currently running.

I was hesitant about this solution, too, so much so that I opted for several hours of TV watching over actually seeing if it worked even after installing the runtime. I was like, this is never going to work, I should have all the components I need if I have DirectX 12. But worked like there was never even an issue to begin with when I booted it up after installing the runtime. Go figure.

I should have known that a Windows install with no issues that took under an hour would result in an issue somewhere else. ;) Nothing is supposed to be that easy.

• meninomiel
More
8 years 6 months ago #5 by meninomiel Replied by meninomiel on topic Sims 4 Game Crash with Reshade

CheeseKate wrote: Just wanted to post an update that I finally fixed the issue. I ended up downloading this DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer thing from Microsoft ( link here ) and got both SweetFX 1.5 and Reshade 0.19.2 + SweetFX 2.0 working with the Sims 4. So I guess Windows 10 installed DirectX 12 without installing components for previous versions of DirectX? I would have thought all the Windows updates and whatnot would have fixed that and they would have filled in the gaps there but I guess not.

In any case, I wanted to be sure I posted the solution in case anyone else finds themself in a similar position with another game. :)

This not work for me. Still have same problem. I'm using W10 with dx12. Any tool to update or install directX return same message "You already have the new version" :(

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.