[SOLVED] Uninstalling Broke Fallout:NV

• KefkeWren
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #1 by KefkeWren Uninstalling Broke Fallout:NV was created by KefkeWren
I installed ReShade because an ENB package I wanted to use for New Vegas included SweetFX settings. However, I found the interface to cumbersome and unintuitive, and wasn't able to readily work out a way to separate out the packaged settings and apply them, since the package (assuming a "drag and drop" installation) had everything bundled together. In the end, I wound up uninstalling ReShade and using a legacy version of SweetFX, which worked as the file uploader expected it to, instead. This works fine, as long as I'm using the 4GB launcher to play the game. However, if I try to use the game's default launcher - for instance because I want to adjust settings that can only be changed at-launch - the game still looks for ReShade, causing the application to hang and/or crash. Further, this problem extends to G.E.C.K., the plugin editor for the game, replacing my render window with a ReShade error message. Suffice to say, I am not happy. :angry:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sajittarius
More
8 years 3 weeks ago - 8 years 3 weeks ago #2 by sajittarius Replied by sajittarius on topic Uninstalling Broke Fallout:NV
It's strange that the stock launcher and the 4GB launcher would load differently. They should both be in the game folder and loading the same dlls.

The way it works, if when you load a game that uses directx, is the program asks Windows for (usually) d3d9.dll, d3d11.dll, or dxgi.dll. Without injectors (ENB or Sweetfx or Reshade for example), it will load those from Windows' System folders. If you are using an injector (like ENB, etc) you are telling it to use the dll file you placed into the game folder. The game will use a dll in its folder before it goes looking in the windows system folders for it.

So it sounds like the launcher is grabbing the wrong dll, and crashing. If you really need to use the original launcher, you can rename the d3d9 or dxgi dlls to something else (like d3d9old.dll) while you change the settings, and then rename it back to run the game.

To get around this annoyance, most people just edit the fallout ini directly, or use a configurator that does it for them (like New Vegas Configurator, can get on Nexus).
Last edit: 8 years 3 weeks ago by sajittarius.

• KefkeWren
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 3 weeks ago - 8 years 3 weeks ago #3 by KefkeWren Replied by KefkeWren on topic Uninstalling Broke Fallout:NV
Actually, I have three launchers loading three ways. Vanilla launcher fails to launch before it even gets to the game (fails at the screen where you would normally choose between launching game, changing active plugins, adjusting settings, etc...). Of the two that bypass that screen, NVSE launcher runs but shows errors, and 4GB launcher runs without issue. Technically, I guess that the G.E.C.K. launching but showing an error message in the render window makes four.

EDIT: Thank you for your help, however. It seems that at least one of the DLLs was left over and not overwritten properly when I "downgraded". Going back and copying over the files again seems to have done the trick.
Last edit: 8 years 3 weeks ago by KefkeWren.

• sajittarius
More
8 years 2 weeks ago #4 by sajittarius Replied by sajittarius on topic Uninstalling Broke Fallout:NV
glad i could help :)

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.