ARMA 3 Launcher crashes when using dxgi.xll

• CSGOCSGO
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #1 by CSGOCSGO ARMA 3 Launcher crashes when using dxgi.xll was created by CSGOCSGO
Just installed Real Light V7 for ARMA 3 but it crashes my launcher when ever dxgi.dll is there.
I've spoken to the guy from Real Light and he's referred me here as he said it seems more like a ReShade issue.

If I run the launcher without dxgi.dll being there then add dxgi.dll back to the ARMA 3 folder then click "Play Game", it works fine.

I'm running Windows 10 and the latest version of the Nvidia drivers.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by CSGOCSGO.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Marty McFly
More
7 years 8 months ago #2 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic ARMA 3 Launcher crashes when using dxgi.xll
Seems like the base game itself runs with ReShade just fine, it's just that somehow the launcher hooks ReShade as well (probably drawing some 3D stuff) and crashes because of that. There is no real way to fix that on your own except switching files all the time or start the ArmA executeable without the launcher. What you could do is providing the Log ReShade creates when you start and crash the launcher, maybe it's an issue that could possibly crash other games as well.

• JBeckman
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #3 by JBeckman Replied by JBeckman on topic ARMA 3 Launcher crashes when using dxgi.xll
I guess without turning ReShade into a exe injector like ENB or GeDoSaTo there's no easy way to implement a blacklist where you can enter files that it shouldn't inject into, (Or a strict whitelist to where it only injects into the listed entries in that.) would help with games using launchers with D3D elements or other parts of DirectX but it has other drawbacks too I suppose plus dragging and dropping a .dll is easier to work with.

I guess one might be able to draw a custom named ReShade .dll via ENB's generic injector to bypass the automatic loading of D3Dx.dll and DXGI.dll though and see if that works, it's a guess but I don't think it supports 64-bit albeit ArmA 3 at least is still using x86 / 32-bit with no 64-bit support at least at the moment.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by JBeckman.

• CSGOCSGO
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 8 months ago #4 by CSGOCSGO Replied by CSGOCSGO on topic ARMA 3 Launcher crashes when using dxgi.xll
Here's what there is in the .log file:
Warning: Spoiler!

• Marty McFly
More
7 years 8 months ago #5 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic ARMA 3 Launcher crashes when using dxgi.xll
Hm, in this case it's better for Crosire to post the tracelog. Do this, close game, empty the log file, rename to .tracelog instead of .log and let it run again once. Now the log should be much larger, use pastebin in this case.
Remember that there is most likely no direct fix and you'll have to rely on the switching files trick or bypassing the launcher somehow. so you help preventing future crashes with any game that crashes for the same reason as your launcher.

• JBeckman
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #6 by JBeckman Replied by JBeckman on topic ARMA 3 Launcher crashes when using dxgi.xll
Bypassing the launcher is easy enough, it's a Steam game so the fix is the usual and works with every game on Steam. :)

By going either to the Steam store page for ArmA 3 (Or any game or application.) you'll see it's "ID" number in the URL, alternatively SteamDB can be used for this which in the case of ArmA 3 is this:
steamdb.info/app/107410/

I personally prefer to start the game exe directly but trying to do that will launch the Steam client method and either start the game via Steam or depending on how it's set up the Steam client will present a list of options for how you want to run the game.

So to bypass this you create a simple .txt called steam_appid.txt and in there you just have that games specific ID number and then you can start the exe directly with whatever parameters (Say via a shortcut to said exe.) you want to use, really helps for bypassing launchers such as say this one here or e.g Fallout 4's launcher which is otherwise the default Steam start option. :)

Oh and obviously this is not a Steam client workaround, you need the Steam client running and you do need to own the game on the account you are currently logged into Steam with although this does skip Steam forcing a auto update of said game if one is available or Steam running it's pre-install routine if it's the first time you start said software after it's initial download.

As I said I personally use it so I can keep Steam in the task bar and out of view and minimized and then I simply launch the game exe or depending on game (Unity for example with various command-line arguments via a shortcut.) I launch a shortcut for said exe with more parameters though this can be set up via Steam as well since several years back.

EDIT: I think it's Steam exclusive at least, could be some stand-alone retail version too but I'm not so sure with ArmA 3 though the previous games had that but then you could just start the exe directly and the launcher would only be a issue if you needed to set up certain options which is easy enough to do by first renaming DXGI.dll for ReShade and start the launcher and set up whatever you need and then quit and rename the .dll back to DXGI.dll (or D3D11.dll) and then start the actual game exe. :)
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by JBeckman.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.