Reshade for Game built by Unreal engine

• ekuanwang
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 1 month ago #1 by ekuanwang Reshade for Game built by Unreal engine was created by ekuanwang
I try to use reshade for my game I made with unreal engine. The game is build for Direct X 10 and 11, after I install reshade on it and run the game, no header/menu is shown up, but I believe the .dll and other files should be hooked up, anyone knows what is going on and what I should do?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Marty McFly
More
7 years 1 month ago #2 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Reshade for Game built by Unreal engine
If the dll didn't even hook, it's most likely just in the wrong folder. Make sure that the dll is in the exact same folder as the exe that is running. Also, make sure you use 32 bit reshade for 32 bit game and 64 for 64 bit game, game will ignore wrong dll.

• crosire
More
7 years 1 month ago #3 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Reshade for Game built by Unreal engine
For UE4 games, do not install to the exe in the main directory, that one's just a loader. The actual game executable is found at "\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Game.exe".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Insomnia

• JBeckman
More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #4 by JBeckman Replied by JBeckman on topic Reshade for Game built by Unreal engine
Without knowing the game it's hard to say for sure but I think it's UE3 since UE4 far as I know only supports DirectX 11 (And now also DX12 and Vulkan as of the newest updates.) whereas UE3 would be DX9 and as of later updates DX10 and DX11 guess I'll have to read up a bit on it but I don't believe UE4 supports anything earlier than DX11 unless it's added by the developer since it's source is open and can be modified even for indie projects whether it's something like a plugin or something more in-depth. :)

As for Unreal Engine that's DX7 and DX8 I believe and UE2 is DX8 possibly with support for DX9 in some of the last games using it, not too sure on that.
(And there's the DX10 wrapper for some UE1 games such as Deus Ex 1, Unreal/Unreal Tournament and Rune but that's a separate utility.)

Early UE4 builds also differ a bit from the more recent ones when the engine started coming together and being standardized a bit more but it's the same with UE3 I suppose, file layout and placement can still differ from game to game, a few even use fully loose files for whatever reason instead of being packed.
(And some use a mix, usually those tend to include a editor or other tools for the user to create maps or such.)

EDIT: As with UE3 and DX11 I don't think too many games are using DX12 or Vulkan with UE4 and unlike say Unity or even Cry Engine I believe it's a bit of work to port the engine to a newer build too (Ark for example is still on 4.5 but merged in some of the improvements from newer builds via the source repository.) also UE4 does support both 32 and 64 bit but you don't see that many games using 32-bit although a few use both 32 and 64 bit for compatibility.

DX10 or DX11 doesn't matter too much for ReShade though, dxgi.dll should cover that just as long as it's placed in the folder with the game exe whereas for UE4 you have a launcher as mentioned and for UE3 there can be a couple of utilities or .dll files in a folder before the actual game exe.
32 or 64 bit does matter though, forgot if there was a easy way to tell by checking the exe - well, easy and easy. - but with Steam at least you have steam_api.dll for 32-bit and Steam_api64.dll for 64-bit so that simplifies it a bit, UPlay and Origin have similar naming for their client specific files or things like overlays and what not. :D
(If a Steam game has both those .dll's it usually contains both 32 and 64 bit binaries and the game defaults to 64 bit if the OS supports it, if not it uses 32 bit.)
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by JBeckman.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.