Graphical glitches with d3d8 games

• brussell
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 1 month ago #1 by brussell Graphical glitches with d3d8 games was created by brussell
I've already posted this in the compatibility thread, but it's possible better put in here, so Crosire can see it (and work on it ;) ):

Unfortunately Reshade 0.15 doesn't fix the issues that I have with some dx8 games. I still get these flickering graphical glitches.
Examples (no Reshade.fx applied):

UT2004 (look at the shadow)

Hitman3 (look at the street markings, also the characters are black (since Reshade 0.15))

There is a 64bit-exe for UT2004 that uses dx9 and doesn't show this behavior. It's definitly dx8 related.

Also Hitman 3 chrashes with postfx enabled ingame. Log: pastebin.com/HhEcvLC5

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Graphical glitches with d3d8 games
Did a lot of changes to the D3D8 to D3D9 converter in 0.16.0, so please report your new findings =)

• lowenz
More
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #3 by lowenz Replied by lowenz on topic Graphical glitches with d3d8 games
*I can confirm flickering for UT2004 in DX8 mode (see the water reflections zone in DM-Curse).
*3DMark2001 still can't run from start to end (black screen after each set of the game tests)
*Splinter Cell 2002 ( I love the good old Sam Fisher :D ) crashes at *mission* loading screen (not the game loading screen)

About splinter cell and splinter cell pandora tomorrow.....maybe you know there's a problem with old shadow buffer technology ( www.nvidia.com/object/feature_shadowbuffers.html ) usage, 'cause the shadow projecting method has been tailored for GeForce 3-4-FX. Result: nobody can play those *gems* today with the correct designed lighting and it's a shame, cause they are stealth games!

So....you can do magic about this problem or it's an impossible task of over-reverse-engineering ? :D
Last edit: 9 years 3 weeks ago by lowenz.

• crosire
More
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #4 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Graphical glitches with d3d8 games
I can't do anything without tracelogs =). They contain valuable information about which shaders weren't converted right etc.
Last edit: 9 years 3 weeks ago by crosire.

• lowenz
More
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #5 by lowenz Replied by lowenz on topic Graphical glitches with d3d8 games
Splinter Cell tracelog

20/03/2015 17:23:59:923 [02260] | ERROR | > Failed to reassemble shader:

C:\Splinter Cell\system\memory(23,5): error X5430: When writing to scalar output register, mov instruction must use replicate swizzle on source parameter(s), in order to select single component. i.e. .x | .y | .z | .w (or rgba equivalent)

pastebin.com/Z9AnqJvF
Last edit: 9 years 3 weeks ago by lowenz.

• brussell
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #6 by brussell Replied by brussell on topic Graphical glitches with d3d8 games
Unfortunately Reshade 0.16 doesn't resolve those issues.
Logs: Hitman 3 , UT2004

I could gift you one of these games (via GOG), if that would help you. :)
Last edit: 9 years 3 weeks ago by brussell.

• lowenz
More
9 years 1 week ago #7 by lowenz Replied by lowenz on topic Graphical glitches with d3d8 games

brussell wrote: Unfortunately Reshade 0.16 doesn't resolve those issues.

And with the new 0.17.1?

3DMark still can't run from start to end (black screen after a test)

• crosire
More
9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #8 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Graphical glitches with d3d8 games

lowenz wrote: 3DMark still can't run from start to end (black screen after a test)

Tool attempts to create a new D3D device on each test, but on the same window, without finishing to destroy the one still active. That doesn't work under D3D9 and gives you the black screen. Something with the resource management isn't quite right, but I'm not sure if it's ReShade or 3DMark. =)
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by crosire.

• lowenz
More
9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #9 by lowenz Replied by lowenz on topic Graphical glitches with d3d8 games
Perfect, just for the sake of bug reporting :D

If it's a 3dmark2001-only issue just forget it :D
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by lowenz.
The following user(s) said Thank You: crosire

• brussell
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago #10 by brussell Replied by brussell on topic Graphical glitches with d3d8 games
Crosire, I just want to inform you that those graphical glitches continue to occur with 0.18. Are you still working on d3d8 compatibility issues? :)

• crosire
More
8 years 11 months ago #11 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Graphical glitches with d3d8 games
Any changes would be found here . But after two days of debugging without promising results I stopped working on that for now. D3D debug runtimes report no errors, converted shaders look fine, ... Just can't seem to figure out what's going on with those two games (that issue with Splinter Cell on the other hand is fixed).

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.