Common Issues and Their Solutions

• FierySwordswoman
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 9 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #1 by FierySwordswoman Common Issues and Their Solutions was created by FierySwordswoman
For the foreseeable future, I will not be updating this guide. Details:
Warning: Spoiler!

By default the ReShade forums don't have some type of faq/"common issues" thread, so I'm making one to (hopefully) prevent a majority of duplicate threads from appearing.

Index:
          1. Depth Buffer and Everything About It (Includes DOF and MXAO)
               1a,b,e. No Depth Access (Effects Don't Work)
               1c,d,f. Incorrect Depth
          2. Issues on Install
               2a,c. Crashes
               2a,b. ReShade Doesn't Launch
          3. Other Problems
               3a. Multiplayer Bans
               3b. Installer Crash
               3c. Porting Old Presets
               3d. Mouse Stuck

1. Depth Buffer and Everything About It
     The Depth Buffer in ReShade holds information about where objects are in 3d space, and it's easy to break. View it by enabling the "Display Depth" shader, which should produce a result looking similar to this:

1a. Firstly, The Depth Buffer turns itself off during network activity to prevent exploitation of competitive multiplayer games. This causes depth-related effects to either flicker or not work at all, and *may* even apply to single-player games modes with weird internal server setups.
     There is, however, a workaround to that. If you build ReShade from source, you can comment out the line that activates the network check to bypass it. ...or if you have no idea what I just said/hate setting up a dev environment, you can probably find someone else's ReShade.dll build somewhere.
     1b. On top of all that, certain in-game settings such as MSAA can disable the Depth Buffer, so you'll need to turn those off if they cause problems.

The depth buffer also has some settings in the Preprocessor window to help with any issues encountered.

1c. If Display Depth shows an upside-down image, set RESHADE_DEPTH_INPUT_IS_UPSIDE_DOWN to 1.
     1d. If Display Depth show the image with the close objects being white instead of black, set RESHADE_DEPTH_INPUT_IS_REVERSED to 1.
     1e. If Display Depth shows nothing and the previous solutions didn't help, you can try setting RESHADE_DEPTH_INPUT_IS_LOGARITHMIC to 1.

1f. One thing to note is that the Depth Buffer often excludes some things such as the user interface, so you may see MXAO or DOF blurring on top of them. For games whose UI's don't change you can use the UI mask shader to prevent the effects from applying to it.
     2. Issues on Install
     Sometimes the ReShade as a whole will hate life for whatever reason. Common reasons are...

A2. Overlays, be it MSI Afterburner, Steam, or anything in-between, can cause issues. The ones I've personally experienced are a CTD on startup and ReShade not launching with the game. Try disabling these first if you have problems with the application itself.

2B. If ReShade doesn't launch with the game, best fix I've found is to use an injector such as the ENB Injector (32-bit only):
enbdev.com/download_injector_generic.htm
-to inject the .dll into the game, which has worked in every single instance for me so far.

2c. Once in a while ReShade simply won't work properly with a given game. Unless it's a really niche solution outside of the scope of this guide, the most you can do is try a different version from the archive:
reshade.me/forum/general-discussion/294-...-repository-new-host
     3. Other Problems
     Problems in the *extra* annoying category.

3a. Bans. Despite what you may think I have yet to come across a single confirmed case of someone being banned from an online game solely due to having ReShade. While I can't guarantee anything, I use ReShade in most of my multiplayer games and have never once received a ban/complaint as a result.

3b. If you're extra unlucky, the ReShade installer may not even work. This is usually due to a bug apparent in RivaTuner/MSI Afterburner, so try turning those off first. Also, remember that you can extract the .dll's with CTRL-Click, meaning you only need to get the installer to work once.

3c. If you don't want to make one yourself, you've probably gone to look for other user-made presets and noticed majority are for past ReShade/SweetFX versions. ReShade 3 actually has most (and probably all) of the shaders you'll need, so converting the preset is as simple as applying the same settings to the same ReShade 3 shaders as were in the old preset.
If someone out there has some spare time you could probably write a script to do this automatically. All it'd take is some regex knowledge.

3d. Sometimes the mouse will get stuck in the middle of the screen. This is caused by games resetting the mouse position to keep it from hitting the edge of the screen (so you can turn forever in any direction in a first-person game, etc.). To fix this, it's usually as simple as opening either the pause menu or something else that lets you use the mouse in-game.

Alright, so you've read through all the relevant sections and still have a problem. *Now's* the time to make a post in the "Troubleshooting" forum, and make sure to mention that you've gone through this guide to no avail. Please don't post unsolved problems on this thread.
     Alternatively, if you can think of any common solutions you're tired of telling people, let me know and I might add them to this post.
     Note to webmaster: Why is there no way to indent lines without no-break spaces?
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by FierySwordswoman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: crosire, Marty McFly, Insomnia, AssassinsDecree, SurfNSlide, romulus_ut3
The topic has been locked.
  • Marty McFly
More
6 years 9 months ago #2 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Common Issues and Their Solutions
Might want to add to the depthbuffer section that if some depth depending effect bleeds through objects, there's nothing to be done about it because if an object doesn't show up in the depth buffer, it's invisible to any depth shader.
  • FierySwordswoman
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 9 months ago #3 by FierySwordswoman Replied by FierySwordswoman on topic Common Issues and Their Solutions

Marty McFly wrote: Might want to add to the depthbuffer section that if some depth depending effect bleeds through objects, there's nothing to be done about it because if an object doesn't show up in the depth buffer, it's invisible to any depth shader.

Good idea. Thanks.
  • Mike Gous
More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #4 by Mike Gous Replied by Mike Gous on topic Common Issues and Their Solutions
@FierySwordswomen
At 2b you said the following:
"If ReShade doesn't launch with the game, best way I've found to fix that is by using an injector such as the ENB Injector (32-bit):
-to inject the .dll into the game, which has worked in every single instance for me so far."

What dll are you referring to? Do I understand correctly that I must:
(1) Install Rehade. i.e. 3.0.7 into the game file (say it is dxgi.dll and dxgi.ini).
(2) Install ENBInjector.exe and enbinjector.ini into the game file. The ENB injector version I got is v0004.
(3) Activate ENBInjector and then start the game.

I tried the above procedure with Moto Racer 4, but no luck.
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Mike Gous.
  • Martigen
More
6 years 9 months ago #5 by Martigen Replied by Martigen on topic Common Issues and Their Solutions
Nice work FS, we need something like this.

1b needs to be more specific though. There are a number of things that can prevent the depth buffer working. MSAA is one, other experts here may be able to provide the others.
  • Marty McFly
More
6 years 9 months ago #6 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Common Issues and Their Solutions
The only other thing I know that affects the depth buffer in any way is HUD. GTA V for example has a white square in the depth buffer when the minimap is enabled. Besides that, I know of no game option that could affect the depth buffer.
  • FierySwordswoman
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 9 months ago #7 by FierySwordswoman Replied by FierySwordswoman on topic Common Issues and Their Solutions

Mike Gous wrote: What dll are you referring to? Do I understand correctly that I must:
(1) Install Rehade. i.e. 3.0.7 into the game file (say it is dxgi.dll and dxgi.ini).
(2) Install ENBInjector.exe and enbinjector.ini into the game file. The ENB injector version I got is v0004.
(3) Activate ENBInjector and then start the game.

I tried the above procedure with Moto Racer 4, but no luck.

ENB Injector only works for 32-bit dll's.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike Gous
  • Sh1nRa358
More
6 years 8 months ago #8 by Sh1nRa358 Replied by Sh1nRa358 on topic Common Issues and Their Solutions
Most helix mod fixes over at the nvidia forums can unlock depth so most of the time that wouldnt be a prob anymore.
  • SoulBeatRunna
More
6 years 7 months ago #9 by SoulBeatRunna Replied by SoulBeatRunna on topic Common Issues and Their Solutions
Hi!

Is there a step by step guide on how to use reshade dll via enbdev?
  • FierySwordswoman
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #10 by FierySwordswoman Replied by FierySwordswoman on topic Common Issues and Their Solutions
Alright, finally back from the Mayo Clinic

-

SoulBeatRunna wrote: Is there a step by step guide on how to use reshade dll via enbdev?

Ahhh..... what?
If you mean using the injector, then no, not that I know of.
All you have to do is edit the enbinjector.ini and change the injected library and target
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by FierySwordswoman.
  • Tricky
More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #11 by Tricky Replied by Tricky on topic Common Issues and Their Solutions

FierySwordswoman wrote: 2B. If ReShade doesn't launch with the game, best fix I've found is to use an injector such as the ENB Injector (32-bit only):
-to inject the .dll into the game, which has worked in every single instance for me so far.

Currently this still doesn't do the trick for me in Stardew Valley. I launch the injector succesfully, but I can't call up the menu in the game and no active presets are parsed into the game. No overlays active, everything is correctly installed, etc. Windows 10, of course. Admin or compatibility mode don't help out either, as does installing older DirectX libraries into Windows itself. I've tried to uninstall Windows 10 Game Mode, as some indicate problems started happening after the Creator's Update, but unfortunately I can't do that. I disabled it, best I could do. It's still active in memory regardless.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Tricky.
  • robgrab
More
6 years 1 month ago #12 by robgrab Replied by robgrab on topic Common Issues and Their Solutions
Another issue I would occasionally have is the Toggle Key not working and Reshade turning off as soon as I exited the Reshade Menu. Digging through the forums I found, for some reason, that the Magic Bloom shader being last in your load order can cause this. Sure enough moving Magic Bloom earlier in the load order fixed it. Not sure if it's an issue with the Magic Bloom shader itself but this had been driving me crazy forever.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mairoha
  • mairoha
More
6 years 1 month ago #13 by mairoha Replied by mairoha on topic Common Issues and Their Solutions

robgrab wrote: Another issue I would occasionally have is the Toggle Key not working and Reshade turning off as soon as I exited the Reshade Menu. Digging through the forums I found, for some reason, that the Magic Bloom shader being last in your load order can cause this. Sure enough moving Magic Bloom earlier in the load order fixed it. Not sure if it's an issue with the Magic Bloom shader itself but this had been driving me crazy forever.

this seems to be my problem, how do I change my load order?
  • crosire
More
6 years 1 month ago #14 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Common Issues and Their Solutions
drag'n'drop
  • mairoha
More
6 years 1 month ago #15 by mairoha Replied by mairoha on topic Common Issues and Their Solutions

crosire wrote: drag'n'drop

ah, where exactly? which folder?
  • JBeckman
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #16 by JBeckman Replied by JBeckman on topic Common Issues and Their Solutions
Shift+F2 to open the in-game ReShade UI (By default.) take the cursor over the effect enable tickbox (As far as I remember how this worked outside of editing the ini file.) and then drag and drop the shader order around over the other shader effects to determine the order they get loaded in. :) (I think it's from top to bottom in terms of priority.)

EDIT: Essentially you should be able to drag the list of active shaders around by simply grabbing them and moving them above or below the other active shaders to determine the best load order. :)
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by JBeckman.
  • robgrab
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #17 by robgrab Replied by robgrab on topic Common Issues and Their Solutions

JBeckman wrote: Shift+F2 to open the in-game ReShade UI (By default.) take the cursor over the effect enable tickbox (As far as I remember how this worked outside of editing the ini file.) and then drag and drop the shader order around over the other shader effects to determine the order they get loaded in. :) (I think it's from top to bottom in terms of priority.)

EDIT: Essentially you should be able to drag the list of active shaders around by simply grabbing them and moving them above or below the other active shaders to determine the best load order. :)

Yes, THIS! Getting your load order right is essential. For instance if you have the Curves shader loaded after MXAO it will affect the darkness of you shadows.

Also, if you really want Magic Bloom to be last in your load order, like I typically do, you can always enable either Show FPS or Show Clock from the Settings Menu since apparently those will load very last. I like loading the clock just so I know when it's time to take a break for things like meals and bedtime. :P
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by robgrab.
  • Tornik
More
5 years 6 months ago #18 by Tornik Replied by Tornik on topic Common Issues and Their Solutions
I have a quick question and I though I'd rather post here than litter the forum with a new thread.
Do I understand it correctly that to install Reshade for several games that you have installed, you need to run the installer for each game? Does that create new Reshade profiles for each of the games, or will installing it for another game replace/delete the previous installation for another game?
  • crosire
More
5 years 5 months ago #19 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Common Issues and Their Solutions
Yes, you have to install to each game separately, and those installations are independent from each other.
  • Tornik
More
5 years 5 months ago #20 by Tornik Replied by Tornik on topic Common Issues and Their Solutions
Thank you for the reply. I can't make it work for Euro Truck Simulator 2 for some reason, but it works fine for iRacing, so I thought maybe the installation for the latter was the reason it wasn't appearing in the former.
We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.