Max Payne 2 with ReShade 3 does not work

• dominicm
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 5 months ago #1 by dominicm Max Payne 2 with ReShade 3 does not work was created by dominicm
I remember Max Payne 2 working with ReShade Bet a 0.19.x buut now cant get it to work at all. First of all I don't understand why DX8 would be removed and is completely unclear how to make it work with dx9. I used REshade on the .exe but there is no indication taht it is working and Shift+F2 has no effect. I also tired adding the d3d8.dll file with no change. I have no idea if this is correct as there is no documentation I can find. Games section list the games as Perfect yet it doesn't work at all. What is the proper way to set up ReShade in this case?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Max Payne 2 with ReShade 3 does not work
Use d3d8to9 and install ReShade with Direct3D 9 selected. You will then have a d3d8.dll and a d3d9.dll in the fame directory.
d3d8t9 used to be build into ReShade but was removed and made standalone because it was open sourced before ReShade was.
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by crosire.

• dominicm
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 5 months ago #3 by dominicm Replied by dominicm on topic Max Payne 2 with ReShade 3 does not work
What does "Use d3d8to9" mean exactly? I already placed it in the .exe directory of the game but like I said it still doesn't work (no reshade in game). And yes I do have both d3d8.dll and a d3d9.dll in the same dir as the games .exe

• vladzor
More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #4 by vladzor Replied by vladzor on topic Max Payne 2 with ReShade 3 does not work
d3d8to9 converts DX8 games to DX9 and makes reshade working, Reshade is not working on vanilla DX8, you need DX8 to DX9 converter
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by vladzor.

• dominicm
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 5 months ago #5 by dominicm Replied by dominicm on topic Max Payne 2 with ReShade 3 does not work
Of course I used the file from the github link, it made no difference, no indication reshade is working whatsoever.

• Lemmi
More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #6 by Lemmi Replied by Lemmi on topic Max Payne 2 with ReShade 3 does not work
Hello there ! Max Payne is really tricky to work with Reshade 3 but I think I found a way. The only problem I still can't fix is the mouse with the Reshade interface. It move the camera in-game and get stuck in the middle, but your can load and edit with a note pad the preset and it work.

I made a patch with my preset, download it, copy the file to your game folder and just put you preset instead (and edit the d3d9.ini to link it to your right game directory)

MaxPayne 2 Reshade 3 Patch :
www.mediafire.com/file/6e7mxt3dbx4oelo/M...de3_byLemmi_v1.3.zip

/!\ The WidescreenFix might not work on the first run. Just quit the game and relaunch to make it work.

Here is the detail if you want to do it yourself :

1 - Download Max Payne 2 Widescreen Fix : thirteenag.github.io/wfp#mp2 , copy the files in the game folder AND rename "d3d9.dll" to "winmmbase.dll".
2 - Download the latest D3D8to9 : github.com/crosire/d3d8to9/releases and copy the files in the game folder.
3 - Download Max Payne Series Startup Hang Patch 1.01 here www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=51579 or here community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/83...-startup-hang-patch/ and replace the files in the game folder.
4 - Download the latest ReShade release: reshade.me/
5 - Install with DX9 option.
6 - Copy the preset into the game folder.
**Reshade 3 interface doesn't properly work with Max payne 2 when you move your cursor, so you have to link the preset manually**
8 - Edit the d3d9.ini to link reshade to your right game path and preset
9 - Launch the game
(10) - The WidescreenFix might not work on the first run. Just quit the game and relaunch to make it work.
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Lemmi.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.